twelve.

"Is he okay?" I asked breathlessly, jogging up to where my mom stood in the hospital waiting room.

"Oh, sweetheart, yes. I'm sorry if my text sounded misleading. He's just got a broken arm." She nodded, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"What happened?" I frowned, gazing up at her.

"He was helping a guy from work and he fell. Landed right on his left arm and snapped the bone."

"Idiot," I murmured playfully, sighing softly in relief.

"The doctors are making sure nothing else is wrong with him. He should be out soon and on the way home with painkillers and a cast." She laughed.

I nodded, taking her hand and leading her down to sit in the chairs of the waiting room.

"Aren't you supposed to go shopping with the girls later?" My mom frowned, raising a brow.

"I was, but dad-"

"Jules, dad won't care." She nodded her head. "You're a senior. It's your last year to go to homecoming."

"I just wanna see him first. Go home with you guys, make sure he's comfortable, then I'll meet the girls." I frowned.

"Okay, sweetheart. I'm sure they'll be done soon."

[]

After making sure my dad was alright and comfortably seated on couch, high on painkillers while I scribbled a message on his cast, I kissed his forehead and grabbed my keys.

"I'll be home later tonight, then." I smiled, kissing my mom's cheek as I made my way towards the door.

"Okay, babe, see you then!" She smiled, waving before making her way into the living room to be with my dad.

"See y-" I was cut off as I crashed into someone while walking out of the door.

I had almost lost my balance, but luckily, two firm hands gripped my waist, saving me from going down.

"Whoa," I glanced up quickly, coming in contact with two familiar eyes.

"Didn't you get my texts?" Shawn asked, a frown on his lips as he held me steady.

I shook my head, mirroring his frown. "My phone died at the hospital. Why?"

"I wanted to make sure your dad, and you, were okay."

"I.. yeah, he's fine. In the living room if you wanna go say hi." I nodded, glancing down to his hands on me. "You can, um, let me go now."

"Oh, yeah, sorry," He nodded, an upset looking claiming his handsome features before shifting to normal. "Where are you going?"

I suddenly remembered that I was mad at him, and I took a step back. "None of your business."

"Julianna-"

"No, Shawn," I snapped, crossing my eyes as I looked at him. "You were an ass to me all day. You embarrassed me in front of the class like... like I was some reckless student!"

"Because you ignored me." Shawn's tone was quiet but tense, reminding me that we were standing in my doorway.

"Because you made an asshole comment." I hissed beneath my breath.

"Cut your shit, Julianna," He snapped, narrowing his eyes at me.

"You're not my dad," I shot back. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Stop fighting with me. I've already said I'm sorry." He sighed, frowning at me.

"Leave me alone, please." I shook my head, pressing a hand to his chest to push him aside. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"