forty-nine.

chapter playlist:
friends - chase atlantic
bitter sweet symphony - the verve
———

"Hi babe, you feeling okay?"

I looked up at Caroline once I walked through the door, confusion on my face as I tilted my head.

"You went to the doctor, didn't you?" She added.

"Oh, how'd you know?" I asked, my brows furrowing slightly.

"Johnson told me after Chase texted him. Why didn't you ask one of us?"

"You guys are all busy in your lives," I shrugged. "Chase offered when I mentioned I wasn't feeling well."

"What'd the doctor say?"

Well, I'm not pregnant!

"Just a sore throat." I smiled, walking into the kitchen. "It's gone now, though. That medicine works quick!"

I frowned at my lie, shaking my head as I went upstairs to put my stuff down. I left my phone and laptop on their chargers, before walking back downstairs. The front door opened again, revealing Johnson and Jack.

Jack immediately swarmed to Caroline, kissing her all over and I could hear her squealing from where he'd playfully pinned her beneath him on the couch.

"Gross." Johnson rolled his eyes, making me laugh softly.

"Hi, Johnson." I hummed, opening the cabinets to see what I could make for dinner. "Hungry?"

"Starved." He groaned. "How're you feeling?"

"Better, the medicine helped." I replied smoothly, though I had a small amount of sadness in my emotions knowing I wasn't pregnant.

I pulled out a box of spaghetti, starting to boil the water before finding a sauce and meat to make meatballs before glancing over at the clock.

I had dropped Chase off thirty minutes ago at his car, and it only takes ten minutes to get to my house.

Where was he?

"Hey, Johnson, have you guys seen Chase?" I asked, frowning as I dumped the noodles into the hot water.

"Nah, he's supposed to come over?" Johnson replied, shrugging casually.

"Yeah, but it's probably fine. I'll text him in a bit."

Once I finished preparing everything, I left it all to cook before jogging upstairs to grab my phone.

"Hey Caroline!" Johnson called, following after me. "Can I borrow your laptop?"

"Johnson, you can use mine! It's up here, you can come grab it." I replied, opening my phone before clicking on Shawn and I's texts.

Johnson came upstairs, grinning at me as he sat down at my desk.

"Don't be looking at porn." I muttered playfully, glancing at Shawn's text.

Johnson snorted and replied he just needed to email a teacher and turn in an assignment, so I nodded and went back to focusing on the texts.

I miss you. Let's get out of town this weekend.

Let's go to LA again. The sunshine, the beach. Quick way to relax before graduation and celebrate finals being over.

I love you, pretty girl.

I smiled sadly, looking down at my stomach for a moment. As precious as a baby would've been, maybe it's best that I'm not having one.