fifty-one.

shawn's pov.
———

"Mr. Mendes," Principal Wilson knocked on my office door in the middle of first period, making me look up from where I was grading exams.

"Principal Wilson," I smiled, setting my pen down. "How can I help you?"

"Ms. Taylor will be taking over your class for the rest of the day, just to watch the students as they take their finals."

"Is everything okay?" I asked, a frown on my lips.

"I've got to ask you to just leave your things, Mr. Mendes, and follow me to my office, please."

Confused, I nodded my head before setting down my pen, pushing aside the exams I had been focused on grading. We walked in silence out of the room, and I could see stress all over Wilson's face.

"Sir, have I done something wrong?"

"Mr. Mendes," Wilson sighed, opening the door to his office.

My heart dropped slightly as I noticed a few police officers, along with the vice principal and counselor, in his office.

"Sir-"

"Shawn Mendes," An officer stepped forward, eyeing me slightly before nodding towards a chair. "Take a seat."

I could feel the uncertainty and anxiety running through my veins, but I nodded and sat down, figuring it was probably best for me to listen.

"Mr. Mendes," Principal Wilson started again, nodding towards the officer, who then handed him over a file-folder. "The police department received these anonymously this morning."

The photos were slid over to me, and I could feel my face flush slightly as I stared at the photo of Julianna and I, along with the one of me laying beneath her.

"Principal Wilson, I can explain." I began, my voice trembling slightly.

"Mr. Mendes," he frowned at me, shaking his head. "Because Julianna was underaged in this photo, we've got to take you down to the police station."

I glanced at the date on the photo, swallowing thickly before nodding my head slowly.

"I'm going to have to ask you to clear your classroom out, as well. Teacher and student relationships are strongly prohibited here, Mr. Mendes."

I could hear the strain in Wilson's voice, and I looked up at his face. He was clearly upset over the situation, and disappointment hung onto his features as well.

I opened my mouth to speak, a million thoughts running through my head as I struggled to explain myself. But there wasn't anything to say. I couldn't lie and say it meant nothing, that it was a stupid mistake; because it wasn't.

I loved Julianna with every part of me. I couldn't just dismiss this and risk never seeing her again.

There was a loud commotion coming from the hall, causing all of us to glance towards the door before it suddenly bursted open, causing my heart rate to spike up. David, Julianna's father, stumbled in, red faced and ready to kill.