thirty-seven.

"I'll be there in five, okay? I'm in a white Cadillac."

"Of course you are." I muttered playfully to John, trying to stay calm. "I'm just waiting for my luggage. See you soon."

I tapped my foot anxiously, wishing the belt with the arriving bags would hurry. I had sent Max a text, letting him know there was an emergency and I had to come home early. John wouldn't tell me anything about what had happened yet, and it put me on edge.

Finally, the conveyer began to move, and luckily, my pink suitcase was towards the front. I quickly grabbed it, before moving down the stairs, following the familiar path of the Seattle airport that would take me outside for pickup.

John's familiar figure was leaning against the car, and I felt relief to know I was finally going to find out what was going on.

"Hi," He hummed, giving me a gentle hug before taking my suitcase. "How was your flight?"

I was grateful nothing was awkward between us. John was a carefree, not focused on dating, kind of guy. I knew the two of us had a nice friendship.

"Fine, thank you." I mumbled, focused on finding out if Shawn was alright or not. "Are you gonna tell me what's up now?"

He sighed, nodding as he opened the car door for me. I slid into the comfortable leather seat, toying with the threads of my ripped jeans. John slid into the driver's seat, starting the car before pulling into traffic onto the highway.

"Shawn met up with Vivien, as you know. He did some snooping and the bitch was dumb enough to hide the tapes in the closet. When he confronted her and told her, she lost it."

"Lost it?"

"Started screaming and yelling, I guess. He told her it was over. The papers were gonna be signed to finalize the divorce, the tapes and money would get back to me, and she would be going to jail."

He paused, shifting uncomfortably before glancing over to me.

"John, just tell me." I pleaded, my voice cracking slightly.

"Shawn was trying to rush outside to take Cameron and I the security footage and she followed. A car was coming and, well, she pushed him."

I inhaled sharply, my breath catching as things seemed to suddenly slow down, despite my mind racing with thoughts while tears burned my eyes.

"He's in and out of sleep, Jules. They're trying to stabilize his brain to keep him awake. The cops are just waiting for that so they can come in and get his word for everything."

The cops? Fuck. They didn't need to be speaking to me, right? I wasn't there, so there was no need for me. The cops could not know Shawn and I were involved.

"John," I spoke softly, feeling a hot tear slip down my cheek. "I need you to promise me you won't repeat what I'm going to say, nor see me any differently."

"What's up?" He asked, glancing at me with a confused expression.

"I know it probably won't come down to it, but don't let the police question me. Don't mention I'm dating Shawn, either."

"Jules, what are you talking about?"

"Shawn's my teacher, John. I'm eighteen. The police can't know I'm involved with Shawn, or else we're both in big fucking trouble." I spoke quickly, my heart racing.

"Fuck, J," John cursed, glancing at me once stopped at a red light. "You two knew each other, then? Prior to when I introduced you?"

"Yes," I swallowed thickly. "Meeting you was a weird coincidence. I'm assuming you went to university with Shawn and ended up staying in New York?"