six.

"The central nervous system does contain the brain and spinal cord." Mr. Mendes' voice projected as he went through his lesson.

I continued to glance back and forth between the board and my journal, scribbling down notes as quickly as I could, before I felt the pressure of someone's foot on my chair.

Turning around, I realized it was Chase, who had succeeded in trying to get my attention. He flashed me a playful smile before I turned in my chair as he leaned over to talk to me.

"Hey, Friday night is an away game, upstate. The drive is about an hour. Do you think you'd be down to come?" He whispered, a hopeful look in his eyes.

Although our chemistry was odd, Chase was a sweet guy and I wanted to make him happy. If that meant driving an hour for him, I could do that.

"I wouldn't miss it." I whispered back, giving him a playful wink before turning around and continuing to take my notes.

When I looked up to the board again, Mr. Mendes was still lecturing on the nervous system, but his gaze was somewhat intense and focused on me.

I could feel my heart beginning to beat just a bit faster as we held eye contact; neither of us looking away as he continued to talk.

Finally, I picked my pencil up again and looked away, scribbling into my notebook as I crossed one leg over the other, shaking my head.

Get your shit together, Julianna.

[]

"Chase said you're coming to the game with us?" Jack said as we, excluding Sasha because she had to study, stood talking in the parking lot once their practice had ended.

"Really? Nice, baby J!" Johnson cheered, flashing me a grin. "It'll be a fun car ride with all of us. You won't regret it."

"Oh, we're all going in one car?" I asked, trying to ignore the bubble of comfort I felt from knowing I wouldn't awkwardly be alone with Chase.

"Well, two cars. I figured you and I, Sasha, and Arizona in one car? Then the four guys in the other?" Caroline spoke, nodding her head at the plan.

"Oh! I won't be able to make it. I, um, got some stuff to do Friday night." Arizona said, shaking her head with a tiny smile.

"Why are you lying to us?" Jack said, raising a brow at the petite girl.

"Yeah, Arizona, we've known you for years," Johnson nodded, leaning against his car. "We know when you're bullshitting us."

"I'm not!" Arizona cried, shaking her head. "Text Sasha! She's got stuff to do, too!"

"You and Sasha being suspicious? Interesting." Chase teased, flashing her a smile.

"You're all assholes." She pouted, crossing her arms childishly.

"You love us," Sammy added, wrapping an arm playfully around her shoulder.

"Hey, isn't that Mendes? Whoa, the dude drives a Porsche?" Johnson's eyes widened, his head motioning to where Mr. Mendes was walking out.

For some reason, the way he looked drove me crazy. He had sunglasses on, his teaching bag slung over his shoulder, and he was on the phone, laughing with whoever was on the other line.