thirty-one.

"I'll take a strawberry daiquiri and he'll just have another beer." I smiled at the waitress, adjusting where I sat on the beach chair as she walked away.

I hummed at the feeling of the warm sun on my skin, which was already two shades darker since we had gotten here yesterday, and glanced out at the blue waters of the Bahamas. Shawn had gone all out; an all inclusive resort with beach and pool access, plus a large suite for us to stay in.

I had told my parents I was going to California with Caroline and Jack to spend New Years with them, and not to worry.

"Baby," Shawn hummed, eyes scanning over my body with a grin. "Did you know I'm the luckiest man on this beach?"

"Shawn," I rolled my eyes, a grin on my lips. "Shut up."

"Make me." He challenged, wiggling his brows suggestively.

I threw the tanning oil that I had been applying in his direction, and luckily, he caught it with a laugh, before I stood up and pointed to my back.

"Cover me?" I asked sweetly, glancing over my shoulder at him.

"I want to cover you in something other than tanning oil." Shawn mumbled cheekily, spraying my body and rubbing it in anyway.

"Shawn Mendes!" I gasped, giggles falling from my lips. "Cheeky bastard."

"Your cheeky bastard." His hand came down on my backside, making me shriek slightly in surprise.

"Quit that!" I laughed, pushing his chest gently before his hands wrapped gently around my wrists.

"Pushing me? Really?" He teased, pulling me in closer.

I prepared myself for a kiss, only to let out a small yelp of surprise as Shawn wrapped his arms around my thighs, then threw me over his shoulder.

"Shawn!" I shrieked, kicking my legs as my fists hit against his back. "Put me down!"

Shawn's answer was laughter as he walked closer and closer to the ocean, and I continued to thrash slightly, meeting amused gazes of other guests who were watching us.

"People are staring!"

"Let's give them a show, then." He replied, lifting my body up from his shoulder once the sea was halfway up his torso.

I felt myself being lifted, small "no's" leaving my lips, only to get louder as Shawn held me up.

"Put me down, Shawn!"

"Down? Okay!" He nodded, tossing me up into the air.

I yelled out some curse word at him before the cold water of the ocean surrounded me, and I felt the sandy floor at my feet. I kicked up, swimming back to the surface before grabbing Shawn's shoulders, trying to shove him under the water with a grin.

"Hey!" He yelled, not moving at all since he was much stronger than I was.

"Yeah, hey, asshole!" I giggled, finally giving up and jumping on his back. "Go on, my steed."

"Are you calling me a horse?" He asked, beginning to swim anyway.

"Ooh, someone knows their animals." I mumbled, kissing below his ear, where he tasted like his body wash mixed with salt.

"Brat," He replied, his hands on my thighs to hold me up before spinning me to his front.

My legs stayed around his waist, facing now to him as my arms came around his neck.

Shawn's thumb pressed against the small heart tattoo on my thigh, and I examined the small stubble growing on his jawline as he spoke.

"Did it hurt?" He asked.