thirty-two.

"How was the Bahamas? Instagram made it look amazing." Chase spoke, walking into class right behind me.

"Amazing. I love being this tan in winter." I grinned, pulling my sweater up as I set my bag down. "How was Florida?"

"Horribly humid for wintertime." He replied, rolling his eyes.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen, take your seats." Shawn's voice echoed as he walked into the classroom. "This is it, guys. Last semester until graduation. Don't screw it up now."

Laughter filled the room as he pulled up the lecture from his powerpoint, and a voice called out from the back of the room.

"Hey, Mendes! Where'd you spend the break? How are you so tan?"

"I..." Shawn paused, his eyes locking on my own for a moment before he hummed a response. "I went to Mexico. Tropical, warm location with some family."

Thank fuck.

"Now, open your notebooks. I know it's hell to be back after break, but these next few months are going to fly by. I'd hate to have to fail any of you!"

Exhaling quietly, I pulled my notes and pens out, beginning to copy down the information that was up on the board.

This was going to be the longest five months of my life.

Shawn and I had become more subtle in class; not staring at one another as much and keeping interaction to a minimum.

Other girls in class were different; constantly speaking with him any chance they got, batting their lashes sweetly at him. Some even went as far as bringing lollipops just to suck on during his class, but Shawn's eyes were always too focused on the lesson, or me, to care.

Once the bell rang, everyone sighed in relief and shut their notes. I put all my stuff away before shooting Shawn a smile and walking out of the classroom. I'd planned to go to my locker for a few minutes before going back into his class.

Once I had put my books away in my locker, Chase opened his just as I shut mine. I leaned against the metal, making small talk with him as he put his own books away.

"Hey, you can totally tell me to fuck off it you don't feel like answering, but how was the holidays with your, um, alcohol issues?" I asked, my brows furrowed in concern.

"Jules, it's fine to ask." He laughed, shaking his head. "It was kind of hard with everyone drinking, you know. I forgot to take my pills one day,"

He paused, tapping his head with a playful smile. "I won't make that mistake again. I was in the worst mood. Sometimes I'm still in the worst mood even when I've taken my medication."

"Hey," I frowned, gently touching his arm. "Anytime you're down, call me, okay? I'll always be here to talk, or even go see you."

Chase smiled, causing me to smile, before I wrapped my arms around his torso, pulling back after a few seconds.

"Thanks, Jules, I'll remember that."

"Attention seniors," Principle Wilson's voice came over the intercom. "Cap and gown pictures will be taken tomorrow to be put into the yearbook! You can leave your gowns in the front office until after school when photos are to be done."

Some seniors cheered, others groaned, as he continued.

"If you mess your gown up, such as ripping or staining it, that is coming out of your pocket!"

I giggled, shaking my head as Chase shut his locker.

"See you tomorrow?" He smiled, beginning to walk towards the doors to the parking lot.