fifty-two.

"Well, when is she supposed to wake up?" A familiar voice filled the room as I struggled to open my eyes.

Why can't I open my eyes?

"Mrs. Ange, we aren't completely sure. She had some internal bleeding in her organs, which we've thankfully managed to stop, along with three broken ribs, which we have to allow heal on their own."

"And her head?"

That's my father's voice.

"Thankfully, no concussion. A few bumps, but those will heal on their own, just like the bruising and swelling along her torso and legs."

"Where is he? Jack Johnson?" My mother asked, her voice shaking slightly.

The sound of the words started to distance away from me, sounding as if it was all happening underwater before I could feel myself drift back into darkness.

When I woke up again, I could hear the soft, steady movements of my heart rate on the machine, and the quiet television playing some sports game; yet I struggled to open my eyes still.

"All this fucking time," Jack grunted, sounding distressed. "It was fucking Johnson. How did we not know?"

"If he's not locked up, I'll fucking kill him myself." Arizona muttered, anger in her tone.

"Guys, we have to stay calm and just hope Jules will pull through soon." Sasha's voice added, softer and slightly worried.

"She'll pull through," Caroline spoke softly, sounding as if she was right next to me. "Right, baby J?"

Her voice was shook slightly and I felt her hand gently wrap around mine, giving a gentle squeeze.

Why can't I open my damn eyes?

I felt the same feeling of distance again, words fuzzing around me until my mind shut off everything around me once again.

The familiar rasp of Shawn's voice woke me again, making my heart rate speed up slightly. I tried as hard as I could, yet my eyes still wouldn't open.

"I love her, David," his voice shook slightly, just as it had during the one time I heard him cry. "I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't wake up."

"Shawn," my father sighed. "It's not an ideal situation for me; believe me. It's going to take time for me to be alright with but, I can see it. You love my daughter so much; you haven't left this hospital these last few days."

Days?

How long have I been out for?

"She's not just some girl, Dave," Shawn chuckled nervously. "I know I was a player in the past and had no intentions of having a future with someone, especially after Vivien, but I feel so serious with her. I see a future with her; but there's no rush, of course."

"She's been happy, Shawn. I knew deep down she was seeing someone despite her never saying who. Keep treating her right, alright, man?"

Trying to focus on the two of them while trying to fully wake up made me feel extremely exhausted, and finally, I let sleep take over like I had before.

[]

A sharp pinch in my arm made me hiss softly, my eyes flying open finally as I glanced over to find the source of pain.

The blonde nurse beside me widened her eyes slightly, before offering a bright, comforting smile as she pressed a bandage over my arm and threw away the syringe she had just used to give me a shot.