91 - Real Life

Hi, this is Skye. I can't come to the phone right now, but please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.....BEEP

"Hey Princess. I was just wondering where you are. It's 9.30 and you said you'd be back by now. Just give me a call and let me know when you'll be home. Love you."

By 10pm Ian was starting to worry. Skye was only an hour late, and yes things like photo shoots do run over a lot of the time. What had him sweating though was the inconsistencies. Skye always let him know if she was held up somewhere, even if it was just a text. If Skye was driving home, she'd call him through speaker and let him know something was holding her up. He just didn't feel right. Something was wrong. He could just sense it.

"Skye, it's me again. I'm starting to get worried. I know it's probably just me reading too much into things. No doubt you've lost track of time or something. Just call me, let me know you're ok. I don't need to tell you how much I love you."

After hanging up the phone Ian decided to find a way to keep himself busy until Skye got home. He went into the kitchen, put the dinner he'd prepared into tubs and put them in the refrigerator. He had just started washing the dishes, his hands now covered  in soap suds when his phone lit up and started to ring.

"Finally," he said to himself, grabbing his cell and then frowning when he didn't recognise the number.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Mr Somerhalder?"

"Sure is. Who's calling?"

"I'm calling from the UCLA Medical Centre with regards to a patient that we have just had admitted."

He knew it. Ian knew it. She didn't come home. Didn't answer her phone. All he heard was Medical Centre and patient and that was enough. He didn't need it spelled out. It was Skye, something was wrong.

His whole world suddenly freezing and his mind now on overdrive, Ian asked the most important question. The only question. In that moment he didn't care what had happened, how it happened or why. All he needed to know was one thing. One thing that would make all the difference. "Is she gone?"

"Miss Parker is alive."

Oh, thank god. With that confirmed and his cell still pressed to his ear, Ian grabbed his car keys and raced out of the house. He needed to get to the hospital asap. He needed to be with her. He needed to see her for himself.

"Mr Somerhalder...." the nurse on the phone voiced sympathetically as Ian put the car into drive and plugged his phone into the speakers.

"What happened to her?" Ian interrupted as he sped down the road. His whole body stiff and numb at the same time.

"She was driving. Another vehicle was speeding down the wrong side of the road and hit her car."

"WHAT? WHY?"

"Mr Somerhalder, please just calm down..."

"Calm down. You've just told me that my fiancée has been in a car accident and is in the hospital because some idiot was driving down the wrong side of the road. How am I supposed to react?"

"I think it would be wise for now to not think about how it happened and just concentrate on Miss Parker. Mr Somerhalder, I'm afraid it looks rather bleak."

"What do you mean it looks bleak?"

"Mr Somerhalder where are you? It sounds like your moving."

"I'm driving to the hospital. Now tell me, what's wrong with her?"

"This isn't the sort of thing you should hear whilst you're driving Mr Somerhalder. Are you very far away?

"I'm pulling into the parking lot right now."