157 - Real Life

"So we're going to kick off the panel with some audience questions. Raise your hands if you'd like to ask anything," the q and a host relayed after the cast and production team had taken their seats.

It was the final day of San Diego Comic Con, and the day everyone working on TVD had been nervous about. They were about to break the news that Season 8 of the show would be its last.

"This is for Michael. I'm a huge fan of your music and was wondering if we'll get to see Enzo sing or play guitar at some point in the show?"

"I'm not sure about the singing but you'll definitely get to see Enzo pluck some strings in one scene or another," Michael answered with a smirk and wiggle of the eyebrows.

"Hi, I'm Bodhi and my question is for Ian and Skye."

"Hi Bodhi," Ian smiled with a grin as Skye waved at his side.

"Firstly, congratulations on baby Brooke. She's sooooo cute."

"Awwww, thank you so much. That's so sweet of you," Skye smiled down at the excited teenage girl out in the audience.

All through Comic Con Ian and Skye had countless people coming up to them and offering their congratulations. They couldn't get over the public support and love they'd received. It was overwhelming.

"My question is, do you think it would be possible to write Brooke into the show? I know vampires can't have babies but it would be incredible if you could find a way."

Deciding to answer the question, Ian was very careful to reply without giving too much away. "It would be wonderful to get Brooke in a scene of some kind. The show means so much to both Skye and I, and it would be great to get our little munchkin involved too. There have been discussions, so you never know."

The final audience question was the one that ended up beginning the process of the big news drop. They'd all decided beforehand that Julie would be the one to reveal it. She would choose at what point and what time. Looks like she had picked the moment.

"Julie, you said when the show started that you knew already how you would end it. Now that Nina has gone and new cast have come in has the original ending changed much?"

Here goes.

"What a great question," Julie began, the rest of the cast taking a deep breath because they knew this was it. "The biggest honour you can have as a storyteller in this business of television, is to make those decisions and create those plots with your peers and with your friends and your fellow storytellers. With all of the changes that have happened we have discussed a potential ending, and have come to the conclusion that this is it. You guys are here for our last Comic Con, and this is going to be the last season of The Vampire Diaries."

The audience gasped. Some had their hands over their mouths, some burst into tears and others just sat their in complete shock.

As the cast looked out at their fans and their reactions it was hard for them to keep composure. Paul's eyes became glued to the table, Julie bit her bottom lip and Skye was struggling to keep control of a quivering chin. The fans were devastated.

"It's bittersweet and emotional and we're all going to be crying in about five minutes, but we wanted to be the ones to tell you guys first. You've been with us on this run and it's been a beautiful run."

Julie couldn't hold it together anymore. It had all become too much. TVD was her baby and she was now ending it. As the tears flowed and Ian wrapped an arm around her shoulder, Skye decided to have the last word. To say a final thank you to everyone that had loved and supported the show for so long.

"We are so grateful to each and every one of you. Not just the fans here today, but to all of you around the world," Skye smiled through the inevitable tears. "TVD means so much to all of us, in different ways and for different reasons. For me personally, it not only gave me a job but also great friends, and my own family. I don't know where I'd be without it. On behalf of the entire cast and crew I just want to say thank you. Thank you for the laughs. Thank you for the tears. Thank you for all the love and support you have given us these last eight seasons. We promise we are going out on a high and can't wait for you to see what we have planned."

With Skye's final speech and a beautifully edited farewell video that played into the hall, the cast and production team were ushered off of stage for the final time.

Once they were out of the public gaze, it was like a tidal wave of emotion hit them all full force. Kat and Julie were holding onto each other for dear life, the boys were giving each other love felt hugs and Ian had Skye wrapped up in his arms as she snivelled into his chest. It all felt so real now. The Vampire Diaries was coming to an end.