137 - Real Life

"Can you believe I'm 30 weeks already?" Skye grinned from ear to ear as she looked at herself in her and Ian's full length bedroom mirror.

Wrapping both arms securely around his wife, Ian then placed both of his hands on the bump which signified the presence of their little baby girl.

Chin rested on Skye's shoulder, Ian took in the reflection of him and his family, his world. He'd always hoped he'd find someone to spend his life with, he just never imagined that person would make him as happy as Skye has, as complete as Skye has.

To think that just 9 months prior she was laying in a hospital bed fighting for her life, shook him to the core. Things could have ended up so differently.

"I can't believe that in 10 weeks we'll be holding a little baby instead of a bump," Ian laughed as he snuggled his face in Skye's neck.

"Do you think I'll be a good Mom?" Skye asked out of nowhere, taking Ian completely by surprise.

"You're kidding right? Princess, you're going to be the best Mom. You already are."

"I just always imagined that when it came time for me to have a baby I'd have my Mom there. She'd be giving me advice, telling me how to hold them, how to feed them, how to nurture them. I just have so many questions, so many worries and unknowns. I just wish she was here right now."

Seeing a lone, silent tear fall down Skye's cheek as she thought about her Mother truly broke Ian's heart. It was the one thing he couldn't save her from, couldn't fix, couldn't change. Nothing he could do would bring her back.

"You loved her, right?"

"Of course I did," Skye answered, wondering where he was going with this.

"And she loved you?"

"Without a doubt."

"Then that's all you need. As long as you and the baby love each other like you and your Mom did then everything else will fall into place."

"You think so?" Skye questioned with uncertainty, another set of tears coming to her eyes as Ian pulled her into his arms

"I know so. Think back on all of your cherished memories with her, where you used to go, what you used to do, your favourite things about her. Carry that over with our little munchkin. That way you'll be taking her with you."

The smile that came across Skye's face when Ian finished was one of contentment and resolve. He was right, of course he was. She'd do everything in her power to be a Mom like the one she had, the one she idolised. That would be her legacy. Skye's way of making sure her Mom was included.

"How do you always know the right things to say Somerhalder?" Skye smirked, a new found confidence encouraging her to pull her husband into a love filled kiss.

"It's a gift."

"You can say that again."

With the couple now permanently stationed in their L.A house until the baby arrived, they had been taking it easy and making sure to get the house ready  in time.

All of the on location shooting for Diaries was finished now, there was just a few set shoots and some voice overs left to do. Luckily those could be done from where they were.

After their earlier conversation about Skye's Mom, Ian made a point of making a little addition to the nursery, which was already near completion. After sharing his idea with Skye they quickly got to work.

During the rest of the day the pair had gone through boxes and boxes of photographs. Skye's Mom had also been a model so there was plenty to choose from. After picking a selection of pictures including one of just Elizabeth (Skye's Mom) or Elizabeth and Skye together, Ian went to work on creating a photo collage of them all for the nursery wall.

Skye was adamant that Ian's Mom Edna be just as included, so after getting similar pictures of her the artwork was complete.

With all the pictures reprinted in black and white, they made for a stand out focal point in what was their pastel pink nursery.

It hung right above the cot where their little one would lay, a sign and symbol of love and protection.

As the day came to a close and the evening set in, the pair decided to get an early night. Skye was so thrilled with how the day had turned out. She felt like a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. No longer was she worried or uncertain. Ian was just elated that he could make Skye happy again, make her complete again.

Settling into bed that night, Skye couldn't stop smiling as she listened to Ian. His voice was a soft whisper as he gently rubbed her large, growing baby bump with one hand, his other hand in hers. He told stories of animals living in the jungle, Prince's and Princesses, the tale of how Mommy and Daddy met.

He'd done this every night since finding out Skye was pregnant. He said he grew up with his Dad telling him and his siblings stories before bed. He decided then and there that he would do the same for their child.

"Good night, I love you," he whispered to her belly like he did every night, moving to peck Skye on the lips. "and I love you," he added, looking directly at his wife.

"Love you too," Skye said with an even bigger smile.

"Good night Princess," he whispered as he rested a hand on her belly, then kissing her forehead before he settled down beside her.

"Good night."