182 - Real life

"Hey Princess, you ok?" Ian mumbled half asleep into the darkness of their bedroom.

"Go back to sleep baby. I'm just struggling to settle tonight," Skye yawned, giving Ian a quick peck on the cheek and then trying to find a comfortable position.

"Is it your back again?"

"Yeah, it's really bad. It'll be fine in a couple of hours though. Get some sleep, it's only 4.30."

"You sure?" Ian whispered, tracing his fingers down Skye's face."

"I'm sure."

Less than a half hour later Ian was sound asleep again, Skye now free to get up and move around. She couldn't lay down anymore. She was finding it impossible to get comfortable.

Slowly and quietly Skye got out of bed, tiptoeing to the door and making her way out into the hall.
Trying to pass some time she went to check on Brooke, then went downstairs to make an extremely early breakfast.

By 5.15 Skye had taken a seat at the dining table and was going through emails whilst she sipped on a steaming cup of tea, completely oblivious to her now wide awake husband leaning against the door frame and watching her every move.

Ian knew her back pain must have been bad. Skye was terrible at getting up in the mornings. She loved her bed more than anyone. The fact she's up and already starting her day was a big giveaway, that and the fact that every time she made a more than slight movement she'd flinch and squeeze her eyes shut.

"How long's it been this bad? Truthfully?" Ian questioned, breaking the silence as he took a seat next to his wife.

"Baby, it's still super early. Go back to bed."

"You really think I can sleep when I know you're struggling like this? Come on, how long has your back been hurting?"

"A couple of days," Skye admitted, Ian leaning towards her and running his hand down her tense back.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Ian worried.

"I didn't see the point. There's nothing I can do about it."

"Skye I'm sure there is something. At what point during the last pregnancy did the back pain start?"

Thinking on it, Skye realised something, something she hadn't thought on until now, "I didn't have any pain with Brooke. This is new."

"Well, all pregnancies are different. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about," Ian told himself just as much as he told Skye.

"It's a good thing we've got that scan today, huh?"

"Sure is Princess. Everything will be fine, I promise."

For the rest of that morning, leading up to their appointment Ian didn't let Skye lift a finger. He hadn't seen her struggle this much since the car accident. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't at least a little worried, they both were.

In the early afternoon Skye and Ian were finally at the Doctors to get some answers, both praying they were worrying for nothing.

Skye was on the bed, top raised as the Doctor put the jelly on her stomach for the ultrasound.

"So you're experiencing severe back pain you said?"

"Yes, sometimes it's so bad I have to stop and catch my breath."

Ian furrowed a brow at this. He knew she was suffering, but he didn't realise it was so severe.

"I didn't want you to worry baby," Skye sighed, spotting the downcast expression on Ian's face and feeling his hand grip hers tightly.

"You should know by now that I always worry about you Princess."

A few silent minutes passed as the Doctor checked the monitor during the ultrasound. One minute his face was neutral, then his brow creased, then it would relax again. It was the final thing he did that really had them reeling though. He laughed. He actually laughed.

"Well I've worked out the reason for your back pain," the Doctor grinned from ear to ear, now facing the couple straight on.

"And the reason is funny because...."

"It's 2 reasons in actual fact Mr Somerhalder."

"I don't know want you mean?" Skye voiced in complete and utter confusion.

"Congratulations. You're having twins."