172 - Real Life

"ACTION......"

Life doesn't just stop when someone is going through a hard time. It carries on as normal, completely unawares of the turmoil going on behind some peoples closed doors.

The Miss Mystic Falls pageant was something that happened every year, without fail, without exception. Just because Holly's life seemed to be imploding around her didn't mean she got out of assisting with it. Not on Caroline Forbes watch.

Since Stefan had joined Sybil and Damon, Caroline became almost mechanical. She painted a smile on her face, carried on as if everything was fine. She took complete control of everything Miss Mystic. Her way of distracting herself from what else was happening.

"Care, there you are. I'm so sorry I'm late."

Caroline had roped Holly into helping her during the festivities, much to the brunettes dismay. The last thing she wanted to do was watch young couples prancing about with not a care in the world. She'd put it off as long as possible.

"Where the hell have you been Holly? You're meant to be helping me organise this whole thing?"

"Caroline, I....."

"But no, Caroline Forbes has to yet again take charge. Half of the escorts haven't showed up, the harpist has broken her wrist, Damon and Stefan decide to turn up with that Sybil psycho, and....."

Holly's non-beating heart metaphorically stopped. He was here? He couldn't be. She must be wrong. The new vampire hadn't seen her boyfriend since the day he was brainwashed.

He'd gone with Stefan, Caroline and the twins to the Armoury, their last hope of saving Bonnie hidden inside the vault.
Their parting wasn't anything special, a "see you later," "I love you," and quick kiss making up the most of it. They never knew it could possibly be the last time they'd see each other.
Holly was on Bon-Bon watch, her job being to keep her distracted whilst the others went through with their plan.
It worked and Bonnie was finally free from the hunter inside her mind.
The relief washed over the pair of them like an incoming tide, they couldn't believe it, it was too good to be true. It really was.
When the others returned, minus Damon and Enzo who had also been taken, the lives of Holly and Bonnie stopped, froze, caved in.

This is how Holly has remained ever since, a stone cold statue of a person, watching the world pass her by.

"What did you just say? Da....Damon's here?"

When Caroline looked at the sudden tremble overtaking her friend she realised the enormity of the situation. She'd only just lost Stefan. She got to say goodbye. She was prepared. Holly had Damon ripped away from her. It had destroyed her.

"Holly, he...."

"Is he here Caroline?" The desperation in her voice was almost tangible in the air.

"Yes, he's here. Holly, the compulsions breaking."

"What? How? What do you mean it's breaking?"

"I spoke to him. Memories of you keep coming through. His loyalty to you is stronger than his loyalty to Sybil. He can say no to her now. You can get him back."

That was all Holly needed to hear before she bolted. She had to find him. Had to at least catch a glimpse of him.

It took less than 5 minutes for Holly to spot Damon, her breath catching in her throat as she did so. He was wearing a suit and tie, his hair was brushed back and he looked as handsome as ever. It was almost like there was nothing wrong with him. Nothing had changed.

As she took a deep inhale, ready to approach him, she spotted Sybil in her peripheral vision, the source of Holly's anguish making it to Damon before she did.

Not being able to hear over the music, but analysing the whole thing, Holly could see what Caroline meant. Damon didn't look like someone under control.
As Sybil reached out to touch him, he'd push her hand away, when she spoke he would glare. He looked like the old Damon. Her Damon.

With hope soaring, Holly watched Sybil storm off, a face of anger and dissatisfaction crossing the face of Cade's messenger.
Once Holly was sure Sybil was gone, she took her chance. This was it. This was when she got her life back.

"Damon?" Holly whispered with a stammer, nerves racking her body and almost sending her over the edge.

That voice. Holly's voice. It had been haunting Damon since the day he went into the vault. The more time passed, the more she ripped into him, the more she consumed him.

As Damon turned to face her, his eyes boring into her when he did, he failed to find something to say. He didn't know what to do, how to react.
One part of his mind was telling him to walk away, to not look back. To completely ignore her existence. Another part, the real part, was trying to break through, trying to claw his way back to her.

The moments ticked by, Damon didn't say a word, didn't move and didn't even flinch. The only sign he was affected by Holly's sudden presence being a tensed jaw and wide eyes.

Holly couldn't wait any longer, couldn't hold herself back. She'd been waiting for this since he disappeared. Waiting for the moment she finally came face to face with him again.

Taking steps towards him, Holly didn't stop to think before placing her palms on his cheeks, her eyes burning into his as he remained silent, still, shocked.

"I've waited so long for this Damon. So long." The tears immediately started to fall, Holly's once stoic composure completely melting away.

"I don't know how much control she still has, but there's one thing I do know, you still love me. I can see it in your eyes."

"You know nothing. You're messing with my head," Damon spat, not really making any real effort to get away from her.

"You're wrong. Its not your head, it's your heart fighting back. It's fighting for me. It's fighting for us."

"I....I can't, I don't....."

"I've missed you so much Damon. There must be even a small part of you that's missed me too." The desperation in Holly's voice was all consuming. She could sense him in there. She had to grab hold of him. Grab hold and never let go.

"I have missed you." It was so quiet. So small. If Holly hadn't been concentrating on him so much, even she wouldn't have heard him say it. He missed her.

Moving her hands away from his face, Holly proceeded to wrap her arms around his neck, the feeling of having Damon so close again taking her breath away. He was still cold, still frozen on the spot, but he wasn't pushing her away. That was a start.

She placed her lips near his ear, her fingers playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. This was it. These were the words that would make or break them. "Whatever control she still has over you, fight it, rip through it. Remember that I love you. Remember that I'll always love you. Come back to me Damon."

It felt like hours before Damon acknowledged that Holly had said anything, never mind opened her heart up to him. No words left his mouth, no epic declaration of love, no cries of apology.
He did something though, something small, something that as a result had Holly soaring.

He hugged her. Hugged her tight. That was all she needed. That was the sign.

She'd won. Damon was back.

"CUT....."