118 - Real Life

In the weeks following Skye and Ian's baby news the couple struggled to contain their excitement. After Ian had let the information sink in he couldn't have been more supportive. First thing he did was make sure Skye had all of her necessary appointments in place. He then messaged Julie so they could have a meeting about it the next day, and even went to a late night drugstore to stock Skye up on vitamins.

Once the cast, crew and production team became aware of the news, so many plans were put in place to ensure that Skye could continue on the show during the pregnancy. Julie rewrote certain scenes so they wouldn't be so physical. The cast were at Skye's beck and call, and even the wardrobe department came up with racks of clothes that would hide her bump later in the season.

The most excited cast member without a doubt was Candice. She was pregnant as well. She was so far along in fact that it had to be written into the show. Caroline Forbes was now carrying Alaric and Jo's twins.

With Skye still in the early stages, everyone had their fingers crossed that they could conceal the pregnancy until the end of the season. Hopefully her bump wouldn't pop too soon.

Candice literally squealed when Skye told her. She cried, she clapped, she even danced around. She didn't stop parading the fact that they were expecting at the same time. Skye had to admit, it was a pretty special thing to be sharing alongside one of her closest friends. It was beautiful.

As far the other cast members, Malarkey had started referring to himself as Uncle Michael around the set, Annie became the mother hen, doting on Candice and Skye as if they were her own daughters, and Paul was almost as protective as Ian, never letting either of the girls out of his sight.

"Are you sure you should be wearing those?" Paul asked Skye as they were getting ready to shoot a scene.

"Wearing what?"

"Those shoes. What if you trip?" He continued, pointing down to a pair of strappy heels Skye was sporting along with a black body-con dress.

Skye rolled her eyes, gazed fixed on the worried expression her friend had on. "They're 2 inches high Paul," she giggled in disbelief.

"Look, you can make all the fun you want. Ian has me on baby watch. I'm not letting him down."

"Paulie, I'm a model. I was practically born in heels. These are like slippers to me."

"Fine. Just watch where you're walking."

"Yes, Sir," Skye saluted with a smirk.

Sure enough, within minutes Skye tripped on the corner of a rug in the middle of the Boarding House living room. It had nothing to do with the heels, but because of when it happened Skye never heard the end of it.

As she tumbled towards the ground, Ian managed to react fast and grab her in time, planting her feet back on the ground and then going into full on panic mode. If he'd had his way, Skye would have been whisked off to hospital. From that moment on it was safe to say the pregnancy was going to be a long one.

As month three of the pregnancy set in and Christmas came around, everything seemed to calm down a bit. The couple had made their way back to Louisiana with Ian's family and that seemed to make all of the difference. Ian was more comfortable, not worrying as much and just enjoying the miracle that was happening before their eyes. Skye had managed to get through the relentless morning sickness and nausea and to top it all, the scans and appointments so far had all gone well.

The only thing they had to contend with now was Skye's cravings. They ranged from dorito's with nutella dip, mayonnaise on toast and pizza with ice cream sprinkles. Ian had never seen anything like it. At first he tried to get Skye to eat super healthy. He tried, he really did. Skye was miserable though. All she craved was junk food, Christmas cake and gallons of non alcoholic egg nog.

"Skye? There you are," Ian's eyes filled with worry when he found Skye sat in the Somerhalder family bath tub, a jar of peanut butter in one hand and a pickle in the other.

"Princess, why are you sitting in the bathtub like that? You're going to hurt your back," he tried not to laugh as he took in the sight before him. There she was, his wife, the mother of his child. She was sprawled out in the tub, wearing one of his old oversized t-shirts, no makeup on and unbrushed hair that fanned around her face. To some people she would have looked like a crazed lunatic. To him, she was the most beautiful she had ever been.

"I just needed some me time. You know I love your Mom, but she's just so full on. I just had to take 5 minutes. Sorry baby."

"Don't be sorry gorgeous. I totally get it," Ian smiled, crouching down near his wife and placing his chin on the edge of the tub where she still lay.

"Princess?" Ian smirked, wiping a bit of peanut butter from the corner of Skye's lip.

"Yes honey?"

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop eating peanut butter and pickles?" Uh oh, Ian. Big mistake.

"WHAT?" Skye blew, leaping out of the bath and taking a stand by the door, continuing whilst holding her food protectively.

"Ian Joseph Somerhalder, I will end you. If you come anywhere near me and even THINK about taking away my snack, the snack YOUR baby is making me crave, I will punch you so hard you will still be unconscious when I give birth."

The seriousness of Skye's tone made her husband take a small step back. She really loved those pickles.

When Skye realised the extent of her outburst she noticed the hurt on Ian's face. He looked like a retriever puppy that had just been kicked.

"I just wanted to help...."

The simple phrase hung in the air as the pair just stared at each other. It only took a few seconds before Skye burst into tears. "I'm so sorry," she wailed, dropping her half eaten pickle and burying her head in her hands.

"No Princess, I'm sorry," Ian rushed over before curling Skye up in his lap and stroking her hair gently. "I know I've been a bit much but.. I'm so scared."

The admission hushed Skye's sobs a little as she looked up at Ian who had a distant look in his eyes.

"I'm so used to having control over everything and now... now it's all gone when it's the most important."

Ian laid his forehead against Skye's and closed his eyes. She could tell he was trying to hold back tears which made her heart clench.

"Ian you are already the best dad in the world. You are so loving and caring and brave and such an inspiration. I love you. This baby will love you. Everything is going to be great. You don't need to be in control of everything all the time. Just let things happen. Like letting me eat peanut butter covered pickles." Ian gave a hearty laugh as he rubbed his nose against Skye's.

"I love you Princess. I couldn't do this with any one else."

"I love you too baby. I wouldn't have wanted to do this with anyone else."