146 - Real Life

In the time Skye and Ian had known one another Skye had never seen Ian panic so much. As he carried her from the car into the private wing of Cedars Sinai hospital it was pretty clear that it wasn't excitement that was oozing out of him. It was fear. The last time he'd been in a hospital was when he'd nearly lost Skye after the car accident, and even though this visit was for a positive purpose Ian wouldn't be happy until he was back home safe and sound with his girls.

"My wife, she's in labor, but it's way too early, she can't have the baby yet, it's too early," Ian panicked in nervous gasps as he carried Skye towards the nurses station, his Mom and sister Robyn following close behind.

"Sir, please, I'll get a doctor. Get your wife situated in a wheelchair and we'll take her through to get checked," one of the nurses said calmly, trying to reason with Ian even though he was clearly freaking out.

"Baby, it'll be okay. Just put me in a wheelchair," Skye told him in short breaths, wanting to ease his fears more than she wanted to ease her own.

Skye knew that as long as she could keep Ian calm, then she'd ok. He was the strong one. The one who held it together. Ian was the rock. Seeing him freak out was more unsettling than anything Skye had ever experienced before. He needed to pull it together.

Once Ian had settled Skye into a wheelchair, he crouched to be at the same level as her and cupped her cheeks in his hands, "I love you, so much," he smiled, worry clear in his voice but hope in his eyes.

"I love you too, we're going to be okay. I promise," Skye said, resting her hands over his own and giving him a small smile in an attempt to hide her own fears.
Ian knew better though, knew when she was faking a smile, faking being ok. It was time he took charge.

"I'm here Princess. I've got you. I'm not going to let anything happen to you or our daughter," Ian resolved, pressing his lips lightly to Skye's.

"I know you won't baby."

After what seemed like an eternity but turned out to be only a few minutes Ian and Skye were finally in their birthing room, the doctor examining Skye once she was all settled and hooked up to the monitors.

"Well, it appears that your water did break and you are in labor Mrs. Somerhalder," the female doctor grinned in confirmation.

"She's not ready!" Ian shouted, tears pricking Skye's eyes as Ian brushed the hair from her face. Maybe it was too soon. She wasn't due for another 3 weeks.

"From the ultrasound and every other test we've ran, I don't see why she won't be a perfectly healthy baby."

Nodding her head, Skye closed her eyes and fought her hardest to keep from crying. They'd been panicking over nothing. If the doctor said everything was okay, then they had to believe it. Had to put their trust in the professionals. They had to trust they were ready for this. Ready to be parents.

"Hey, look at me?" Ian waited until Skye turned to look up at him, her eyes wide and full of tears, "We can do this. I know you're scared Princess, hell I'm terrified, but we're going to be great parents okay? And when we're lost and clueless, we have plenty of help."

Trying to hide the pain from her now quite frequent contractions, Skye nodded her head slowly, not taking her eyes off of her husband for one moment, "Are you sure?"

"I'm very sure."

As the labour intensified, time passed and pain increased, Ian and Skye knew it wouldn't be a long wait. Soon they'd get to lay their eyes on their personal little miracle.

"Right Skye, you are fully dilated. On your next contraction it'll be time to start pushing," the doctor confirmed with a smile, her team getting ready as Skye mentally prepared herself for what she was about to do. What she had to do.