Chapter 2

Passing the Promise

---

Normal POV

After Korosensei told Nagisa everything about making that promise, Nagisa was in shock and surprise. He didn't know about Kayano's past. But now he knew, he felt bad for her.

"I was searching for her all this time. To keep the promise I made with Aguri." Korosensei continued while his back was facing Nagisa.

"But I had a classroom to look on to, so I planned on using half of my time in search for her.." Korosensei continued while Nagisa shook his head to wash away his recent dumbstruck emotions.

"I almost broke my promise to Aguri. But at that day when she revealed her true self, I had no earthly idea that she was just right around the corner! Aguri's little sister was just in my classroom! I was relieved. All this time, I didn't realize that I was already taking care of her, as a student." Korosensei said his last. He turned his head to look at the blue haired boy.

"Do you understand why I'm telling you this Nagisa?" Korosensei asked.

Nagisa came back to his senses. Of course he heard him, but realizing the point, he already knew where this was going.

"A-Are you telling me...?" Before Nagisa could finish, Korosensei cut him.

"Exactly." Korosensei nodded.

"But.. But sir, I... But why me?" Nagisa asked. He was deeply astonished why he was chosen by Korosensei.

"Kayano's close with you, am I right?" Korosensei said.

"Well, yeah but... That was before she revealed herself as Akari!" Nagisa asked still dumbfounded.

"Akari or Kayano, she still has the same personality. True she was just acting all the time, but you said so yourself Nagisa. It doesn't mean there wasn't a part of her or your friendship was based on a lie." Korosensei explained.

Kayano, it's because of you I quit on being self conscious about my hair. The first time we met, you pretty much called it out and look at me now, right?

Nagisa saw a brief flashback to the time after Kayano revealed her true identity.

And like you said. Korosensei's name. You're the one who gave it to him.

His thoughts continued.

"We're all masked from time to time. We're all different on the inside and the out. But it's still the real you. Weren't you the one who said that?" Korosensei reminded Nagisa about what he said a long time ago.

"Now, let me ask you this, Nagisa. Will you take up the honor, and do the promise as told, for the sake of Aguri's and My memories?" Korosensei asked Nagisa to take upon a vow. But Nagisa was barely calm, even with all the answers he finally had from Korosensei's thoughts.

Then, the proclamation started.

"Will you do me a promise, Nagisa? To protect Kayano till the very end?"

Nagisa's POV

After hearing the last line, I was starting to get anxious. I don't know what to say. Kayano's... Well, Akari's just my friend. But taking upon this vow makes me think that I'm more than a friend.

"E-Excuse me, Korosensei." I managed to ask and interrupted Korosensei.

"If I take the promise, will it destroy our friendship?" I asked.

"Of course not, Nagisa. Your friendship is the most important bond for the both of you. No matter what kind of conflicts you'll face, your bond will simply regrow it, out of love. If hatred is on the way, both of you can defeat it. I know it." Korosensei explained. And after that, there was a few minutes of silence between us, the sun was starting to sink beneath the horizon, making me think that time is going slow.

"I'm not forcing you to do it, Nagisa." I lift up my head and faced Korosensei.

"If you have to decline, then I will still accept it." He continued, lifting up his tentacle.

"Korosensei..." I sighed, continuing to think about it.

I suddenly remembered all the moments I've spent with Kayano as Korosensei's smirk remained on his face. From my vague memories, I can see that we were really close. Even if it was before she revealed her true self, she's still, Kayano. Or Akari now.

We were all having fun with her, made her part of the family. Her smile, her laughs, every time I hear them makes me want to smile and laugh too.

But behind all that, it was just a mask. Every time she goes home, I can imagine her taking enormous pain. It ached my heart seeing her pained like that.

I know that I wanted to be a teacher. But if I were to leave her alone, it just makes it harder for me to reach my goal.

I'm not saying that Akari is a nuisance, an obstacle, or a roadblock. To me, she's someone that I've gotten comfortable to be with all along.

She's simply someone I look up to; a kind of inspiration that made my life more meaningful. Wow, she really is something.

That's probably why Korosensei and Aguri both adored her so much. She has this talent to inspire people, to give them hope and courage in a way of being an actress. Sure she had a different side that we once feared, but she only did that because she was hurt. I now know that she's all alone.

But...

Not for long...

"I'll do it!"

"Nrh?"

"I'll take upon the promise that Ms. Yukimura asked of you. I'll protect her no matter what happens. I'll always be there for her!" I finally said it. Saying these words enthusiastically made me surprised too, but it's the least I can do. If I were to become like Korosensei, I must be open at all times. Even if I don't have the same speed as Korosensei, there are still things that only I could do.

"Nagisa..." Korosensei sighed in bliss, placing a tentacle on my head and petting it again.

"Look on how much you've grown. I'm so proud of you." Korosensei continued praising me.

"Thanks Korosensei." I walked towards him and hugged him entirely. Not another suicide attempt like I did in day one but, I was just, so happy.

"Remember this Nagisa. Don't give up on your dreams because of this. Keeping a promise is like keeping a secret, don't you think?" Korosensei hugged me back.

"Yeah. I know what you mean."

---

End of Chapter 2