Chapter 19

Masks are Useless

---

Normal POV

"Haruna-chan, you're up!" A man with a headset on his head while checking out a list on his hands called out for an actor to start doing its role.

"Coming!" A young and mature girl with a long black hair and honey-golden eyes walked up toward the exit of the backstage and into the shooting gallery.

Together with different actors, they were taking photo shots to use them as a cover for each daily magazines. From kids to adults, Haruna was up. But for her photo shoot, she was required to wear a bikini to express how summer should be.

Doing different kinds of poses that would convince everyone that she would look hot and sexy, she didn't hesitate to do all those kinds of things. One.. two.. three.. it appears that Haruna was the only actor that gave a huge impression to the audience. Boys were tempted and blushed, while the girls feel a little jealous.

"Nice pose! Good looking! That's it!" The photographer complimented her style in poses, and dug her even more to continue. But a few minutes later, Haruna decided to take a break and ask a day off for tomorrow.

It was 7 in the evening, but she hasn't eaten dinner yet. So, after she got changed into her formal attire, she approached her director and staff, asked for a permission for a little break, and luckily, they agreed.

Haruna was relieved that she would be able to rest on at least one day from her work. Being an actor was really busy for her, but she loved her job, so she doesn't have any problems with it.

At her apartment

"I'm home!" As soon as she closed the door from the inside, she greeted, but to whom?

"Oh hey, welcome back!" A feminine voice spoke out when she saw Haruna at the door. It was Kanzaki that greeted her back.

"Hey Kanzaki. Sorry I left you guys in here for the whole afternoon." Haruna apologized.

"Don't be. While you were away, we had a lot of fun spending time in your place." Kanzaki smiled back at her.

"I'm glad to hear that." After removing her outdoor shoes, she immediately went with Kanzaki to the kitchen to prepare dinner for tonight.

Kanzaki, while cutting down some vegetables, calls out to her other friend in Haruna's room.

"Okuda! Kayano's back!"

A few seconds later, the door from Kayano's room squeaked open, and came out Okuda running towards them at the kitchen.

"Kayano! Welcome home!" She threw her arms on Kayano's back while she was washing the dishes at the sink.

"Okuda! Watch it!" Kayano was caught off-guard by her for hugging her out of the blue, which almost made her let go of the plate she was holding.

"Oh, sorry about that. Let me help you then." Okuda apologized and offered to help so that Kayano won't be mad at her anymore.

Kayano smiled and smacked her gently with her elbow on the side, saying that she didn't mean to be mad at her. Okuda, hearing this, felt relieved but continued to help them in the kitchen since she would feel guilty for not doing anything while she's at her place.

It turns out that Kanzaki and Okuda were hanging out together with Kayano since this afternoon. But Kayano left them early at her place due to her urgent work, so they mostly missed her when time passed by. Though this wasn't the first time they hung out. They were already doing so in the past few months after graduating college. It is to carry on their pact, saying that they should see each other a lot more often.

"Kayano, should I cook this one? Or maybe this one?" Kanzaki was holding a seafood-flavored ramen on her right hand, while a beef-flavored ramen on the other.

"Hmm, this one!" Kayano pointed at the seafood-flavored ramen.

"No way! I was just thinking the same thing!" Kanzaki happily said.

"Um, me too!" Okuda shyly said so at the other side of Kayano.

The three of them started to laugh all of a sudden after saying their thoughts were as one. They were always like this when they hang out, and Kayano always wished that the three of them would always be together. A happy and goofy times to slack off from work, it helps her calm down thankfully.

---

After the utmost things they could do during the night, they were finally tired and decided to go to sleep. Kayano let the two of them sleep on her double deck bed while she brought out a sleeping bag and slept on the floor.

However, after a few minutes passed, Okuda woke up, and she saw Kayano missing from her bed. She looked around the room, but she wasn't to be found.

"She probably went to the bathroom." Okuda thought to herself, assuming that Kayano might be back for a little bit.

But a few more minutes have passed, she still wasn't back. Okuda was starting to worry, so she tried waking up Kanzaki on top of her, which eventually succeeded, and decided to look for Kayano in the living room.

Out of the darkness of the place, which was only brightened by a small amount of moonlight, they found Kayano'a figure on the balcony looking across the great dark sky. A cold breeze gently blowing her hair, they were captivated at the mere sight of her. But as they were watching her, a small tiny tear that was reflected by the moonlight, fell off from her face. They figured out she was crying, but why?

"Wait!" Okuda was about to reach for the door until Kanzaki stopped her from doing so. Okuda felt confused and looks at Kanzaki for answers.

"Let's give her some space, she needs it for now." Kanzaki explained.

"But—"

"Someday, we'll know, and we'll be there for her. But for now, let stay out of her way." Kanzaki cut her off and continued to explain.

Okuda didn't really understand what Kanzaki was trying to say, but she felt that she didn't have any other choice. She was beginning to wonder what's wrong with Kayano; what could be probably on her mind right now? She really wants to comfort Kayano, but that made her figure out everything.

Lately, Kayano was feeling a little bit off. They saw she wasn't entirely having fun back there, and she was pretending that she was enjoying herself. She assumed she had a tough day, but that only made her misunderstand.

When the breeze stopped blowing her hair, they saw Kayano holding something in her arms. They couldn't see it clearly since it was dark, but they could imagine what it was. It had a rectangular shape, and had a big size. They eventually found out it was a book.

But, was it?

---

End of Chapter 19