Chapter 16

The Life of a Teacher

---

Nagisa's POV

*Beep!.. Beep!.. Beep!*

The noise of the buzzing alarm clock woke me up first thing in the morning. I blinked my eyes a few times and finally got out of the bed. I had a weird dream lately, but I'm not sure what triggered it. I was...there, in an open but empty black space. It was just me, all alone in the dark.

"Nagisa? You awake, honey?"

Mom called out to me from outside my room. It's actually her morning routine where she wakes me up for breakfast, and goes to work early in the morning.

"I'm up!" After yawning, I gave a quick reply so that she'd be assured that I won't be late this time.

Truth is, my body's always tired after every night. That's because I also go to 'work' at night, and when I get home, I end up exhausted. That's why sometimes I end up getting late for school. Grow up already, me. We're not in high school anymore.

At the dining table

"Nagisa, are you sure you're getting enough sleep? Look at you! You look terrible!" Mom was worried sick looking at me while we were eating.

"Mom, I'm okay. Don't worry. I just had a rough day." I'll try to convince her since it's kinda embarrassing. I'm old enough for this.

"But are you sure, honey? You don't want to be seen like this at school now do you?" She's still at it though.

"Mom, really. Just stop, I'll be okay." I said.

"Were you busy doing faculty stuff last night?" She asked.

"Yeah, a lot of paper works came in and I had to deal with them at home." I went with the flow.

To be honest, the paper works were already dealt with, but if I were to move the subject, I had to distract her from my job every night. I haven't told my mom yet that I became an agent for the government. If she finds out, she'll totally freak out and probably might make me quit.

"Well, just remember. Try not to overdo it, okay? Take care of your body as well, it's important." Mom said with concern.

"I already know that, mom. Jeez, just please stop treating me like I was born yesterday already, it's embarrassing." I felt the heat warming up my cheeks. I was probably blushing at the moment.

Mom didn't say anything back. Instead, she chuckled and went back eating her dish.

Thankfully, she wasn't trying to bring out another subject, so we finished breakfast eventually.

"Well then, I'm off!" Mom said after finishing her cup of coffee. She is the first to leave our house for work.

"Have a safe—"

"Oh, I almost forgot! Nagisa, your dad will be coming home tonight. If you do so have a time to spare, would you fetch him for me at the airport? Thanks!" Before she could close the door, her head popped back in and told me about dad arriving, and then finally closed the door to leave.

"Uh, sure...have a safe trip." Though even knowing she won't hear me anymore, I still finished what I was trying to say earlier.

Dad's coming home? Oh yeah, I did heard mom talking over the phone last night, about dad coming over.