Chapter 4

I Was Happy For I Chose Him

---

Normal POV

"Thanks for the company, Nagisa." The junior high school students finally arrived at Kayano's apartment building. It was already 7:15 in the evening, and Nagisa had to hurry.

"You're welcome!" Nagisa smiled at the green haired girl.

"I gotta go!" He turned away from her, preparing to sprint back to the road.

"Bye Kayano. See ya tomorrow!" He wore a smile as he waved his hand goodbye before sprinting away.

But Kayano didn't reply to him. She didn't even wave back goodbye. She was staring back at Nagisa, slowly drifting away from her sights. Loneliness. Her eyes were showing those feelings. She was planning in asking Nagisa to go out with her to buy some goods on a nearby grocery store, but he instantly took off, leaving her there, with her mouth wide open.

"Okay..." She muttered to herself.

She knew that there's no chance for her to make it up for Nagisa. She already knows that he's always focused at his target...to become a teacher. That's why at the day before, the Valentines day, she decided to set aside her own feelings for him and told him she'll support him in anyway, to secure his path toward his dream.

She didn't want to be on his way. All she wanted was to see Nagisa wearing a smile with his eyes staring dead ahead while achieving his goal.

But the feelings in her heart were never washed away. Her mind spoke to her before... 'Set aside your feelings, for Nagisa', but in her heart, deep down...she loved him. From the very beginning, even if she was just acting, she started to like him as a member of the opposite sex.

At the day when she revealed her true identity, when she was brought down by Nagisa, she was in a state of breakdown, thinking that she had her plans failed that she worked for so long.

Now that she showed her real identity, she started to distance herself away...away from her friends, away from Korosensei, away from anyone, because she knew that she was just a fake, and thought she was never part of them. She felt guilty after everything she had done despite all the things her classmates and her teacher had done for her.

But as she was feeling down, Nagisa brought her head back up. By telling her that everything she did when she was acting, it felt that it was real to them, to him.

These were his words:

Maybe you were just playing a role. But that doesn't matter that our friendship or the whole thing you did was based on a lie...

We all are masked from time to time. We're all different from the inside and the out...

But it's still the real you.

As she thought about that last statement he said, they kept echoing through her mind. She started to brought her lips up, making a smile, and the loneliness in her eyes faded away.

"Nagisa..." She whispered to herself. Even if Nagisa won't reconcile her feelings, she still loves him.

She was so happy because it was him who saved her. She was happy because she finally found a place where she fits in. She was happy because she was given a second chance. And all of these, were all because of Nagisa.

To her, he's not just an assassin. He's an assassin willing to do the right thing, to save people. That's how she understood why Nagisa wanted to be a teacher. Because just like Korosensei, he wanted to save the future.

"I was happy that I chose him." After saying that kind of expression, she chuckled while she turned around to enter her apartment.

She couldn't believe, that out of all people, she was happy that she chose him.

Nagisa's POV

"I'm home!" Finally, I made it. 7:20 was my mark, but I barely made it on 7:19.

"Where have you been, Nagisa!?" Mom shouted from the kitchen. She sounds angry. Oh well, I'm already used to this.

"Sorry, I was late. Our teacher gave us an assignment before going home." I made up that reason. Yes, there's no way I can tell mom that I walked a girl home. If I did, she won't stop teasing me about it. Like, what made you do it? or what's the relationship between the two of you now? She is a female after all, which makes moms interested in these kinds of stuff.

"Is that so?" I was relieved that Mom took the farce.

"Well, I was worried. But other than that, I was thinking that you were probably giving your girlfriend of yours some company." My eyes widened at her sudden words.

"What?!" I shouted. I don't know why she suddenly brought that up, so I was deeply in shock.

"I thought that you might be already in a relationship or something..." She said.

Huh? Wha—Huh? Where is this all coming from?!

"So, is there a certain special someone?" She continued.

See? What did I tell you? Mom is very interested in young romance, but this is the very first time she had spoken to me about this! I don't know what made her to ask those questions, but I have to hurry and put out answers!

"Nagisa?" I realized I wasn't answering back, so I snapped away from my thoughts, still being nervous about what I should tell her and started to speak.

"You've gotta be joking mom. Of course I don't have anyone like that. I'm not yet interested about romance or love and stuff!" I answered nervously. But thank goodness I didn't mess up on my speech.

"Oh, is that so?" Mom sounds like she's feeling down. Oh great, now I made her sad.

"But!... Now, I think I am ready for love! Yup! Actually, I already have a girlfriend! Hahaha!"

...

No response.

Is mom really that upset that she didn't hear me?

Oh! But I hear her cooking. I think she didn't hear me because of that. Oh well, it doesn't matter now. I'll just eat dinner and apologize to her later.

Wait... What did I just say?

---

End of Chapter 4