4: funerals + late texts

It was almost like the weather matched my mood, the rain drizzled and I could tell by the dark looking sky outside, that it wasn't going to get somewhat dry and sunny at any point.

I was stood in front of my long mirror on the inside of my closet door, I was wearing black floaty trousers and a black transparent top over a basic black vest top. I love the colour black, but I don't like that wearing black connects with death, funerals and sadness.

I had straightened my hair and did very basic make up, it's not like I need to be glammed up for any particular reason, I mean it's my parents funeral for goodness sake. I sighed tilting my head and looking at the photo frame on my bedside table through my mirror.

My Mum and Dad were so happy, a drunk asshole took that happiness away from them. It's crazy that life can get taken away from people so fucking quick, too soon and unexpectedly. It will never make sense to me.

It was only ten AM and I already had the sense to cry and hide from life, I always choose that as a way out of everything tough in my life. A buzz caught me from slipping under the waves of depression suddenly, I frowned at my phone – I'm not used to people texting me.

From Harry,
Morning Luna, fancy hanging out today? X

I smiled, I liked this feeling inside. It was this warm buzzing feeling in the pit of my stomach, but also this tight clench on my heart. Even though it hurt my chest I also really liked the feeling of overwhelming emotions.

I also felt rather sad and frustrated that my entire day was going to be spent dwelling on the losses of both of my parents. It's totally understandable but as selfish as this may sound, I would much rather spend my time with Harry, learning more of this unknown yet very intriguing man.

To Harry,
Good morning. I'm really sorry I'm very busy today, rain check?

From Harry,
Yeah sure that's cool. What you doing? X

Do I say it...

To Harry,
Just working.

I can't just say what my day is actually going to be like, that is not only depressing but it's also a damper on the mood, well there isn't really a set mood right now.

From Harry,
Oh okay, well have a good day.

His reply seemed strange but I shall not question it, instead I shut my phone off and left it on my bed heading downstairs. The funeral starts in just over an hour, but I'll obviously need to be there early.

The thing with my parents was, they were extremely popular people, like very very popular. My Mum was a lawyer for a really good firm, she mainly worked as a divorce attorney, she was extremely good at her job and that's why she was so popular.

My Dad owned a garage that was quite popular as he didn't rip people off when fixing up the minor issues with their vehicles. He was also incredibly polite and smart, which helped with sales.

I remember the way he'd come home, hands in grease and dirt over his cheeks, sweat on his forehead and a big bright smile. I missed him and his dorky comments.

I grabbed my purse and took a deep breath before leaving my apartment and stuffing my keys into my purse after I locked the door. My heels clicking against the floor as I neared the elevator, I want this day to be over as soon as possible but I know it will drag on and make me emotionally crumble as sadness chips away at my heart.

...

I was sat here for a good ten minutes, just staring past my steering wheel as I watched the dark clouds slowly pass over me. I had so many thoughts about today, like what would my speech go like, would any relatives speak to me, did they know I exist let alone know what I looked like, I don't know.