Chapter 31

After the professor finished another boring lecture on chemical reactions, I packed my notebook into my backpack, put my coat on and walked to my car excited it was Friday. I brushed the newly fallen snow off the windshield of my car before I drove to work.

It was only a short drive to the tan building with the children’s gym set outside. I parked in back and used my key to open the back door. I walked into the employee’s lounge to put my stuff down when my friend Kayla walked into the room to talk to me. “How was he today, cause any problems?” I asked her.

“He was great, he was sitting up by himself a little more. He just got up from his nap a few minutes ago so he’s probably hungry if you want to feed him.” She answered.

I smiled at her  before I left the lounge and walked down the hallway to the room with the kids who were under a year old. I could see him on his stomach, lying on the floor playing with a toy. “Riley!! How’s my little man doing?” He looked up and smiled at me when he heard my voice. I helped him sit up so he could see better and practice his balance. He began to clap his hands together excitedly as he giggled. He had recently discovered it was fun to clap because it made a lot of noise so he did it all the time.

I sat on the floor in front of him for awhile as we played with his toy. “Should we get some num nums? I know you must be hungry.” I picked him up and took him out of the room to feed him. After he was done eating, I played with him until my shift actually started.

I worked at a daycare after I finished my classes every day. Kayla had told me about the job once I moved back and they were nice enough to allow me to work there and have cheaper daycare cost for Riley. It was great because I was getting paid but I was also allowed to be with my son most of the day too because I worked in the room he was in. There were only a few other babies with him, but we had a couple of employees to tend to them. If I didn’t have this job I probably wouldn’t have been able to return to school to finish my degree and hopefully go to veterinarian school next fall. I had done all my applications and interviews, I was only waiting to find out if I had been accepted to any of them.

After I had left London, I moved back in with my mom and she helped me while I was pregnant and now she helped me take care of Riley. My family wasn’t happy I got pregnant and was a single mom, but they were always willing to help and supported me and understood why I had left.

I worked for six hours before I dressed Riley in his little green snowsuit and took him to my car and buckled him into his car seat. I drove us home and parked in the garage. I grabbed him, his diaper bag, and my school bag and walked to the house. I set Riley down on the floor, propping him with a pillow because he couldn’t quite sit up by himself yet. He had the tendency to still fall over sometimes. We played for awhile until I had to make supper. As my food was cooking, I fed him a little bit of his baby food.

After I finished eating, I took Riley upstairs to give him his bath. Once he had finished splashing in the water, getting me wet too, I took him to our room and gave him his milk as I rocked him. As soon as he was sleeping, I put him in his crib so I could do some studying for a couple of hours.

When I got up the next morning, I had a text from Katie telling me to call her when I had the chance. We would talk at least once a week since I moved back home. She always wanted to know how Riley and I were doing. And she was always asking me to send her pictures of him. I found her in my contacts and called her. “Hey, what did you want? Or should I just send another picture of Riley because that’s what you actually want anyway?” I asked sarcastically.

“I’m always up for more pictures of him but that’s not why I wanted to talk to you.”

“So what did you want?”