Chapter 43

I didn’t hear from Niall for close to a full day after he left because of the long flight. He texted me while I was in class to let me know they had arrived safely just so I had some peace of mind. When I got home after school, it was night in Australia so I had to wait for Niall to wake up before I could talk to him. To pass the time while I waited for him I made supper, gave Riley his bath, and was now sitting in the office studying. Riley sat on the floor with a toy truck, driving it up and down Charlie. I had Skype open on my laptop waiting impatiently for the call.

Finally in the late evening I heard the ringing tone as Niall’s face popped up on my screen. I quickly answered it and saw his smiling face. “Morning babe.” I smiled back. “What time is it there?”

 "Good evening to you. It’s a little after six in the morning.”

 “What are you doing that you are up so early?”

 “Nothing. We don’t have anything for a couple of hours. I just wanted to get up early so I could talk to you before you went to bed.”

 “How was the flight?”

 “Long and boring. What did you do today?”

 “Besides school, not much. I did talk to my mom and she is free the first weekend in October and then again the last weekend. So could you talk to your mom to see if any of those work for her to come dress shopping.”

 “Sure. I’ll call her after we hang up.”

 “Emiley emailed me today too. We have the places in Mullingar for the wedding and the church is free the 28th. She found this really cool barn that is basically only used for weddings and other gatherings near the church so hopefully we hear back from they have it open too.”

 “Perfect. I told management they can’t plan anything for us during that break so we don’t have to worry about having to do anything. How’s Riley been?”

 “Pretty good. Had a temper tantrum earlier because I wouldn’t let him feed Charlie his banana but other than that he’s fine.”

 “Does he miss me? Or doesn’t he even know I’m gone.”

 “He defiantly misses you. He didn’t really notice you were gone yesterday because it wasn’t out of the ordinary for you to be gone during the day. But this morning he asked for you and then when he came home tonight he was searching all over the house for you. He ran from the game room to our bedroom and into the music room looking for you.”

 “Really?”

 “Of course he misses you. You’re his daddy.”

 “Is he sleeping?”

 “No I tried but he just cried so I’m hoping he falls asleep on the floor with Charlie.”

 “Can I see him?”

 “Sure! Hey Riley come here.”

 He set his toy down and walked to me. I picked him up and sat him on my lap. “Hey buddy.”

 He was confused at first because he knew it was Niall but couldn’t find him. He finally focused on the screen. “Daddy!” He reached for it but couldn’t figure out why he couldn’t touch him.

 “I’m sorry I’m not there but you need to go to sleep. I’m sure you mum is tired too and wants to go to sleep.” They talked back and forth for a while. Riley saying something incoherent but Niall carried the conversation on anyway. That was until Riley yawned and began to rub his eyes. I took him to his crib and this time he fell asleep quickly.

 After he was down, I went back to the office to finish talking with Niall. We talked for more than an hour before we hung up because Niall insisted I go to sleep because I could barely keep my eyes open.