Chapter 40

“Hey babe! What were you doing today?” Niall asked when I returned to our bus after being out all day.

“While you were at your interviews, Riley and I decided we needed some new clothes for our vacation, so we went shopping.”

“Did you get some new swimsuits?” He smirked.

“Possibly.” I turned my head to smile at him while I took the bags to the bedroom to put them away.

He followed closely behind me. “Can I see them?”

“No. You’ll have to wait until we’re in Hawaii.” I kissed his cheek then unpacked Riley’s new clothes and put them into his suitcase. We were leaving tomorrow evening so I decided it would just be easier to just pack them now instead of putting them away and packing them tomorrow. I had to beat Niall away a couple of times because he keep trying to find my swimsuits.

We hung out on the bus until it was time for the concert to start. I carried Riley into the arena because he wouldn’t let me put him down, so I had been holding him since we got back from shopping. I was walking around back stage with him when I stopped to talk to Harry and Liam.  “How’s it going Erin?”

“Pretty good Harry. Although I haven’t be able to even pee since we got back from shopping and I really have to go.”

“How come?”

“Riley is in some sort of mood today. He won’t let me put him down without screaming. He won’t even go to Niall. I think he has a tooth coming in so he hasn’t slept well the last couple of nights and now he’s just over tired and I’m sure his mouth hurts. I gave him some medicine but I don’t think its taken effect yet.”

“Why don’t you give him to Harry and me? We’ll watch him so you can at least use the bathroom.”

“The moment I hand him to you he’s going to scream.”

“We’ll handle it.” Liam reached his arms out so I handed him Riley. And as I suspected, the moment he was out of my arms he began to wail. “Erin go. Maybe once you’re gone he will stop.”

I left them but could still hear Riley’s cries in the distance. I walked through the arena until I found a bathroom. Once I was finished I went back to find Liam and Harry with Riley. They weren’t where I had left them so I began to search for them. I found the three of them in the lunch room with Harry holding Riley while Liam fed him applesauce and Niall sat beside them softly playing guitar. He had been quietly eating until he saw me. Once he discovered I was in the room, he started to whine and squirm in Harry’s arms. He set him down and he walked to me so I picked him up which made him happier.

As I approached I said, “You got him to stop crying.”

Liam answered, “We tried the same thing we do for Niall when he’s cranky since he seems to be about 90 percent Niall. Give him food and a guitar. It’s seemed to work.”

“Hey, I don’t get cranky.” Niall protested.

“Yes you do.” We all said in unison.

“Whenever you get tired or hungry you get really cranky. Or if I hold out on you for too long.” Liam and Harry chuckled.

After the concert was over we went back to our bus. Riley however was still not in a good mood and didn’t want to go to sleep. We put him in his crib and gave him a teething ring but he still cried. We went to our room and left him in the crib hoping he would tire out eventually and fall asleep. After 45 minutes it still didn’t look like any of us were going to get rest tonight so Niall grabbed his guitar and sat down on the floor by his crib and began to play and sing to him. Slowly his cries softened and I fell asleep to Niall playing down the hallway too.