Photograph

♤ Quinten Salazar ♤

"I can't wait til we're back in Florida, I kinda miss my sister and Jabari even though I know I'll miss this place even more." She mumbles placing her head on my shoulder. I place my hand on her's that is resting on my lap, gently caressing it.

"It was very eventful I must admit." I very much enjoyed the time her and I shared with one another. It helped me realize many of things as well as brought me closer with her. I actually learned more about myself while on this trip, something I thought I wouldn't have to do; due to the fact that I believed I knew myself very well.

Amini helped me understand that in some situations I tend to cancel out my own emotions, forgetting that they matter just like anyone else's. It's something I'm not proud of but, it's okay; I'm working on it.

"Are you excited to go back home?" She lifts her head and looks up at me.

I nod, "Mhm, Indeed. I miss my mother as well as my work." I can't believe that's been two months since I sat down with any of my patients. "Your kids should be home from their vacation as well right?" She asks with the raise of her brow.

I shake my head in a yes fashion which was not the case. Imani would be flying back to the states in the first week of August; the children's first week of school. Lur would be starting her first year of Preschool and I had pinky promised her over FaceTime that I'd drop her off on her first day.

Due to the fact that I personally didn't want to fly back to Florida knowing that I still had weeks before I was able see my children after not seeing them in so long. Because of that, I decided to extend our vacation. Amini thought we'd be flying back home and in a certain way we were. We were flying down to California; the state which she was born.

The morning of her birthday I contacted her sister and asked if she didn't mind giving me the information of the relatives that still lived in her home state. She willingly gave me the address to one of her aunts and while Amini was asleep I took the time to book us a flight and contact her aunt who went by the name of Michellé.

I knew how much Amini loved and missed her home state. I recall her mentioning that she'd love to go back if she had the time to so I took it upon myself to let that dream of her's come true. It was also a late birthday gift from me to her.

---

"Moonlight." I whisper gently tapping her shoulder. She had fallen asleep during our four hour flight. "Moonlight, wake up." I lean to the side, removing her head from my shoulder which wakes her. She yawns and stretches her limbs as her eyes wander the airplane that is slightly crowded due to the passangers gathering their things.

"Wow, we made it back home fast, how long was I sleep?" She inquires, slowly standing from her seat. I interlock our fingers as I guide her down the aisle. "The whole flight, I want to say something though," I pull her in front of me and rest my hands and her waist, letting her lead us down the stairs. Placing my chin upon her shoulder, I kiss her cheek. "We're not in Florida." She instantly stops and turns around to look at me. Brows furrowed together as she her lips form a small pout. She tucks them and looks to her left then to her right. "Then where are we exactly, we playing the kidnapping game or something. Taking each other to places without letting us know wh-" I chuckle and turn her around, gesturing her to finish going down the stairs since we were holding up the line.

"Where are we, Quinten?" I drape my arm over her shoulder, gently kissing her cheek once more. "You'll see once we make it to baggage claim." I reply which causes her to let out a sigh. I knew she disliked when I didn't tell her where we were going but I preferred not to; what's the point of telling someone where you're taking them when it's a surprise?