The Unquiet Dead - IV

Continue from The Unquiet Dead - III

---

"This is how Madam Mortlock summons those from the Land of Mists, down in big town." Gwyneth nervously spoke as they all sat down at a round table, all but Dickens. "Come, we must all join hands."

"I can't take part of this!" Dickens blurted out, interrupting Gwyneth's instructions.

"Humbug?" Lily asked sitting between Sneed and Rose who was smirking. "Come on. Open mind."

"This is precisely the sort of cheap mummery I strive to unmask!" Dickens argued. "Séances? Nothing but luminous tambourines and a squeeze box concealed between the knees. This girl knows nothing."

"Now, don't antagonize her!" The Doctor shouted. "I love a happy medium."

"I can't believe he just said that." Rose whispered to Lily making her softly laugh.

"Come on," The Doctor told Dickens. "We might need you."

Charles finally obeyed, taking a seat between Rose and Gwyneth. "Good man. Now, Gwyneth, reach out." The Doctor gave Gwyneth the floor.

Gwyneth nodded and took in a breath. "Speak to us. Are you there? Spirits, come. Speak to us that we may relieve your burden."

Whispers started to fill the room around them.

"Can you hear that?" Lily asked.

"Nothing can happen." Dickens protested making Lily grow annoyed at the man she thought was so brilliant. Boy, was she wrong. "This is sheer folly."

"Look at her." Rose told the group.

"I can see them." Gwyneth cried, closing her eyes. "I can feel them."

Lily gripped her hand in Rose's, leaning forward towards Gwyneth who was right across the table from her.

"They can't get through the rift." The Doctor told her. "Gwyneth, it's not controlling you, you're controlling it. Now, look deep. Allow them through."

"I can't!" She screamed in a hush tone.

"Yes, you can. Just believe it." Lily told her. "I have faith in you, Gwyneth. Make the link."

"Your hope gives me strength." Gwyneth spoke then looked forward. "Yes!"

There was a flash of blue light, and then three, gas like outlines of people formed behind the servant. Sneed and Dickens gasped. Sneed squeezed Lilys hand too tight making her wince. "Great God," he said. "Spirits from the other side!"

"The other side of the universe." Lily corrected him, making the Doctor look over to her.

"Pity us." The spirits spoke in a child like voice, Gwyneth's mouth moving along with them. "Pity us. Pity the Gelth! There is so little time. Help us!"

"What do you want us to do?' The Doctor asked them.

"The rift." They said. "Take the girl to the rift. Make the bridge."