The Empty Child - III

Continue from The Empty Child - II

---

Lily groaned and rolled onto her side. She slowly opened her eyes to see a man's back towards her, sitting in a chair.

A light illuminated the room making Lily's eyes squint. She slowly got off the bunk and stood, looking around at her surroundings. "Where am I?" She asked herself but got a response.

"My ship." Jack spun around in his chair to face her. A sad smirk on his face but a shocked look on Lily's.
"Hello, Lillian. It's been a while."

"Wha-" Lily took a step back. She didn't know what to do. So many emotions were running through her head. Happiness. Sadness. Confusion. But most of all . . anger.

"What the hell, Jack!" She shouted and took a step forward. "How are you here? Where have you been? Why-"

"Maybe you should ask one question at a time, babe." He lounged back in his chair and bit his lip. They used to fight all the time about how stubborn and outspoken she was. But now? He never knew he missed it this much.

"Oh no!" Lily pointed at him and advanced so they were a foot away. "You don't get to call me that! You lost that privilege after you left me three years ago."

"Can I please explain before you go all redhead crazy on me?" Jack pleaded.

"Why should I even give you the time of day?" Lily snapped, crossing her arms as a way to shield herself from him.

Jack tried to not look dazed by her answer. He sighed and stood up from his chair, walking towards Lily. "I had no choice, Lily. I didn't know that when I joined the Time Agency romantic relationships were not allowed."

"Who the hell is that?" Lily eyebrows arched together confused.

"They were the people who hired me before I met you." He confessed. "If I continued dating you something terrible would happen. To you and even Jackie and Rose." He tried to reach out to her but she backed further away. He wouldn't be lying if he said it hurt him. "The only way to protect you all I had to break your heart. After that, they sent me away."

"Are you still with them?"

"Yes." Well . . what's one more secret? "They sent me here for an important mission. Wait a minute." His eyebrow raised. "How are you so calm hearing about this." He looked around him. "And how are you here?"

"A Time Agent I met brought me." Jack lied once again.

"A what?"

"Yeah. Seems like I have an attraction for them." She glared.

Jack sighed and scratched the back of his neck. "Finally." He continued his lie. "I've been waiting on those guys for months."

She didn't know what to think. What to say. How to feel. While she was thinking Jack looked over at her hands to see them red. They were raw due to the rope she was holding onto.

"What happened to your hands?" He asked.

Lily looked down and knew the burns were from the rope. Not wanting to be any more of a burden she shrugged. "Must have been the rope. I'll deal with it later."