The Parting of Ways - III

Continue from The Parting of Ways - II

---

The sisters banged on the door, begging for the Doctor to let them out but nothing happened. While Rose continued, Lily leaned her back on the door and slide down, her eyes filled with tears and it was getting hard for her to breathe.

She knew he wouldn't be able to regenerate. And if he was, she didn't want him to. Call her selfish but she just fell in love with this man. She didn't know how to cope if he changed his face.

Never witnessed a regeneration, she didn't quite understand.

"This is Emergency Programme One." Lily looked up hearing the Doctors voice. Her and Roses eyes widen seeing a blue life-sized hologram of The Doctor. "Lily and Rose, now listen, this is important." Rose helped Lily stand so they could both walk up to him. "If this message is activated, then it can only mean one thing. We must be in danger. And I mean fatal. I'm dead or about to die any second with no chance of escape."

"No!" Rose shouted, holding onto Lily's arm. All Lily could do was stand there, paralyzed.

"And that's okay." he grinned like everything was okay. That made Lily mad. "Hope it's a good death. But I promised to look after you girls, and that's what I'm doing. The TARDIS is taking you two home."

"I won't let you!" Lily shouted.

"And Lily, bet you're fussing and moaning now. Typical." the hologram snorted and shook his head. "But hold on and just listen a bit more. The TARDIS can never return for me. Emergency Programme One means I'm facing an enemy that should never get their hands on this machine. So this is what you should do. Let the TARDIS die."

By this time Lily was trying to be brave for Rose. But it didn't work. Rose saw how heartbroken she was. So, for that moment Rose was the one protecting Lily.

She held her in a side hug while the hologram continued on. "Just let this old box gather dust. No one can open it. No one will even notice it. Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner. And Red, I know you." Lily gasped, hearing her nickname. "You are very stubborn. You don't listen to me and you never had. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with you." Lily whimpered. "Over the years, the world will move on and the box will be buried. And if you want to remember me, then you can do one thing. That's all, one thing." He looked at both of the sisters and smiled. "Have a good life. Do that for me, girls. Have a fantastic life."

When the hologram began to flicker, Lily pulled away from Rose and messed with the console. "You can't do this to me." she muttered. Rose reached out to her but she moved away from her. "No Rose he can't!" She continued working on the console. "Take me back! Take me back! No!"

When the engines stopped, Lily ran outside and growled in anger seeing the London skyline. Before she could run back inside, Mickey came running down the road. "I knew it! I was all the way down Clifton Parade, and I heard the engines. I thought, there's only one thing that makes a noise like that."

He looked at Lily, face in pain, then at Rose who stood beside her holding tears in her eyes. "What is it?" he asked.

Lily hugged him tightly, letting out loud sobs.

-

"Girls, I've called up the internal laser codes." The Doctor looked up after hearing Jacks voice. "There should be a different number on every screen. Can you read them out to me?"