World War III - II

Continue from World War III - I

---

The policeman turn Slitheen was just about to attack Jackie who was on the floor screaming when Mickey busted through the door. He smashed a chair across the back of the Slitheen making its "collar" electrocute him, grabbed Jackie's hands and pulled her out of the kitchen. He stops in the doorway of the flat to take a photograph of the screaming alien on his mobile phone.

-

Making it safely past the guards, Mickey and Jackie entered his flat making sure to lock the door behind them. Now in his kitchen Mickey started the steps to make them a pot of tea. "Got anything stronger?" Jackie asked, sitting down on one of the chairs.

"Not a chance." Mickey shook his head and put the pot on the stove. "I've seen you when you've had a few. This ain't time for a conga."

"We've got to tell someone." Jackie sighed.

"Who do we trust?" Mickey reported back, closing the blinds. "For all we know, they've all got big bog monsters inside of them. You've read Lily's journals, this is what he does that Doctor bloke. Everywhere he goes, death and destruction, and he's got your daughters in the middle of it."

"Has he got a great big green thing inside him, then?"  Jackie asked worried.

"I wouldn't put it past him." Mickey snorted. "But like it or not, he's the only person who knows how to fight these things."

"I thought I was going to die." Jackie chocked back tears and placed her head in her hands.

As Jackie started sobbing Mickey brought her into an awkward hug. "Come on, yeah?" He tried to comfort her by patting her back. "Anyone's going to cry, it's going to be me. Now, you're safe in my flat, Jacks. No one's going to look for you here, especially since you hate me so much."

"You saved my life." Jackie noted. "God, that's embarrassing."

Mickey laughed and let her go. "You're telling me."

"He wanted me dead. And he's still out there Mickey." Jackie shivered. "That policeman. That . . thing."

-

The Doctor dragged the body of the ID man into a small store room beside Anthony Blair. Slowly closing the door he asked. "What was his name? The secretary?"

"I don't know." Harriet shrugged. "I talked to him. I brought him a cup of coffee. I never asked his name." Harriet frowned at the thought that a man died for nothing.

"Sorry." The Doctor looked sadden for just a moment but then sprung back into action. "Right, what have we got? Any terminals, anything?"

"No." Lily shook her head, arms crossed and went to stand beside the Doctor. "This place is antique. What I don't get is, when they killed the Prime Minister, why didn't they use him as a disguise?"

"Too slim." The Doctor answered. "They're big old beasts. They need to fit inside big humans."

"But the Slitheen are about eight feet. How do they fit inside?" Rose wasn't quite getting it.

"That's the device around their necks." The Doctor replied. "Compression field. Literally shrinks them down a bit. That's why there's all that gas. It's a big exchange."

"Wish I had a compression field. I could fit a size smaller." Rose joked, nudging Lily's side who gave her a small smirk in return.

"Excuse me!" Harriet yelled at the sisters earning their attention. "People are dead! This is not the time for making jokes!"

"Sorry." Rose rolled her eyes. Lily smile and patted her shoulder then turned back to Harriet. "You get used to this stuff when you're friends with him." she nodded her head to the Doctor.

"Well that's a strange friendship." Harriet replied.

"Harriet Jones . . I've heard that name before." The Doctor looked deep in thought at Harriet. "Harriet Jones. You're not famous for anything, are you?"

Harriet snorted. "Oh, hardly."

"Rings a bell." The Doctor continued. "Harriet Jones."

"Lifelong backbencher I'm afraid, and a fat lot of use I'm being now." Harriet sighed, waving a hand. "The Protocols are redundant. They list the people who could help and they're all dead downstairs."

"Hasn't it got, like, defense codes and things?" Lily questioned, crossing her arms. "Couldn't we just launch a nuclear bomb at them?"

Thinking back to when Lily took down the Slitheen Harriet scoffed at her. "You're a very violent young woman."

"I'm serious. We could?" She shrugged then looked to the Doctor for help.

"Well, there's nothing like that in here." Harriet spoke, getting Lily's attention as she turned back to her. "Nuclear strikes do need a release code, yes, but it's kept secret by the United Nations."

"Say that again." The Doctor interrupted her.

Harriet was taken back. "What, about the codes?"

"Anything. All of it" he simply said.

"Well . ." she started again. "the British Isles can't gain access to atomic weapons without a Special Resolution from the UN."

"Like that's ever stopped them." Lily muttered.

"Exactly." Harriet nodded. "Given our past record. And I voted against that, thank you very much. The codes have been taken out of the government's hands and given to the UN. Is it important?" she looked to the Doctor.

"Everything's important." he said.

"If we only knew what the Slitheen wanted." She blinked, catching what she said. "Listen to me. I'm saying Slitheen as if it's normal."

"What do they want, though?" Rose asked the Time Lord.

"Well, they're just one family, so it's not an invasion." The Doctors eyes squinted, trying to make sense of all this. "They don't want Slitheen World. They're out to make money. That means they want to use something. Something here on Earth. Some kind of asset."

"Like what? Gold?" Harriet supplied. "Oil? Water?"

"You're very good at this."

"Thank you." she replied with a grin.

"Harriet Jones." the Doctor putting on a thinking face. "Why do I know that name?"

──── {⋅. .⋅} ────

Please leave your wonderful comments below and don't forget to vote :)

- KleeAlise11