Chapter 4: After first meet - Alec

Alec

Alec stumbled down the stairs after Jace. His cheeks still burning at the thought of Magnus's odd request. Call me? He'd said. It seemed such a ridiculous thing to say. Once outside Jace stopped him and Izzy and instructed them to wait for Clary. Izzy walked off and Alec followed her. She was wiping her eyes, furious at herself for not taking better care of the mundane.

Clary appeared from the building and Alec took Izzy's arm, pulling her in the direction of the subway. "Don't worry about it," he told his sister, "You heard what Magnus said, he'll be fine in a few hours."

"But it's my fault," Isabelle sounded genuinely upset. It frustrated Alec, he knew his sisters knack for drama.

"It's not your fault," He said, weary, "But it ought to teach you not to go to so many Downworld parties. They're always more trouble than they're worth."

Isabelle sniffed loudly. "If anything had happened to him, I—I don't know what I would have done."

"Probably whatever it is you did before," said Alec, bored. It was so Izzy to overreact like this. "It's not like you knew him all that well."

"That doesn't mean that I don't—"

"What? Love him?" Alec scoffed, raising his voice. "You need to know someone to love them."

"But that's not all it is." Isabelle moped. "Didn't you have any fun at the party, Alec?"

"No." He answered fast, not wanting her to push the subject.

"I thought you might like Magnus. He's nice, isn't he?" Isabelle turned her head and locked his eyes with hers.

"Nice?" Alec looked back in astonishment. What an adjective to use, nice! "Kittens are nice. Warlocks are—" He hesitated, what were warlocks?. "Not," he didn't know what else to say.

"I thought you might hit it off. Get to be friends." Isabelle sounded hopeful and Alec knew she meant well. She wanted him to be happy. But with a warlock?

"I have friends," Alec said, and looked over his shoulder at Jace, who seemed to be lost in thought. Isabelle shook her head impatiently.

"Come on, Alec," she said, "You know what I mean."

Alec shot her a furious look and stepped up the pace, creating more distance between them and Jace and Clary. "I know what you mean," he said when he was sure they couldn't be overheard, "That doesn't mean you have to bring it up here in the middle of the street. What do you even think? That a three hundred year old warlock would be interested in a seventeen year old shadowhunter?"

"Why not?" Isabelle asked, innocently.

"He's out of my league," Alec answered crossly, "Now drop it, please."

Isabelle shrug and at that moment, Jace, behind them, called out, "Alec! Isabelle! You go on ahead! We'll catch up."

Alec hesitated, wanting to turn back, but Izzy caught hold of his arm and pushed him firmly toward the subway entrance. "Come on," she said, "I want to go home."