Chapter 13: Seventh meet

Magnus

Magnus was contemplating leather pants or black tight fitting jeans for his second date with Alec, when his phone rang. The caller ID told him it was Bat, a werewolf from Luke Garroway's pack.

"You better have something really important to bother me with," Magnus snapped into the phone by way of answering it. "Cause you disturb me while I'm being busy with essential matters. Leather or jeans, that's always the question."

"Magnus," Bat sounded exasperated but also a bit distressed. "We need you at the Hunter's Moon. There's been some sort of attack. We have a dead cub. And some injured as well. A Shadowhunter rampaged the bar."

"A Shadowhunter killed a cub?" Magnus asked, incredulous. "I know they can be arrogant and obnoxious, but they won't break the Law so flippantly. That can't be right."

"The cub who's dead wasn't killed by the Shadowhunter." Bat hasted to say. "We don't know what it is. I was hoping you can check it out and while you're at it, take a look at the few unconscious wolves. That Shadowhunter," Bat blew out an exasperated sigh. "Just a kid, he is from the Institute, I think. Seriously crazy."

"Hmmm. Let me guess. Is he blonde and shockingly beautiful?" Magnus asked.

"He's blonde alright, I don't know about the beautiful part," Bat snapped. "Does it matter? Can you come?"

Magnus told him he was on his way and hung up the phone. He texted Alec next.

Alexander, your crazy parabatai has beaten up a few wolves in the Hunter's Moon. I'm on my way there, they need some assistance. Want to meet up at the restaurant?

He would have suggested for Alec to come to the Hunter's Moon, but he was pretty sure Alec would want to avoid being seen with Magnus there. Especially if Jace was there. Magnus sighed and wondered why he was dating someone who was having a crush on someone else. He was being stupid, putting himself on the line like that. But thinking about Alec made him cave in. He wanted to see him again. He was looking forward to this second date. He had chosen a mundane restaurant this time. Less risk.

The restaurant he took Alec to for their first date had been run by downworlders who had all backed away from the Shadowhunter when they had entered. It had made Alec self-conscious and that was the last thing Magnus wanted. He wanted Alec to be happy and at ease with himself. Which was why he proposed meeting at the restaurant. Alec's answer came fast.

What? By the Angel, what did he do? Doesn't matter. I'll talk to him later. I'll meet you at the restaurant. It's on fifth, right? Will you be able to get there at seven? If you need more time, that's okay. Let me know?

Magnus smiled at the text. It was so typically Alec to consider he might need more time. To think that Alec would come second to whatever Magnus had to do. But Magnus didn't intend to let Alec wait while he had been so looking forward to this night. On the other hand, he didn't know what he could expect at the Hunter's Moon.

I really want to be there at seven. But if I need more time you'll be the first to know. You're a darling.

He didn't know why he added that last sentence. Yet he felt Alec could use some endearments, and he hadn't complained about them, so far. He had just smiled at him with that sweet, shy smile by way of reply. Magnus shook his head, hurried into the black jeans and out of the door, on his way to the Hunter's Moon.

Alec

Alec stood on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. It was a few minutes before seven. Magnus hadn't texted him, so he guessed the warlock would be here soon. He did receive a text from Isabelle, saying Jace was back at the Institute, looking worse for wear.