Chapter 73: In Quarantine

Magnus

When Magnus woke up, the first thing he saw was white. White bed sheets, white walls, white ceilings. The second thing he saw was blue. A person, sitting in a chair next to him, wearing blue scrubs and blue skin. Catarina.

"Hi, are you awake?" she asked.

Magnus thought that was a weird question. He was looking at her, wasn't he? A clear sign of being awake. He nodded.

"Where am I?"

"You're in a special wing of the Basilias in Alicante. Special access for special Downworlders." Catarina sounded sarcastic and Magnus raised his eyebrows.

"So, I hear you've been visiting your father in Edom," Catarina continued, "I'm sorry for giving you that invite back. It should've been me."

"Don't talk nonsense," Magnus said, waving her away. "How long was I out?"

"About a day. I healed you, you were in a pretty bad shape when they brought you here and you'll have to stay here for at least another twenty four hours."

Magnus closed his eyes. He felt tired, but not sick and dizzy anymore, like he felt when he was in Edom. Edom. The memories came flying back to him. Alec's blue eyes shining, I don't want the world. "Where's Alec?" Magnus asked.

"All Shadowhunters who came from Edom are quarantined in the Basilias. That's all I know. I assume he's there."

"Can you go and check and see if he's okay?" Magnus asked, feeling worried and wishing he could go himself and see him. He wanted to talk to him, to tell him that he also didn't want the world. All he wanted, all he ever wanted since the first moment he saw him, was Alec.

Catarina said she'd ask and left the room. Magnus sat up then and looked around. On the nightstand next to his bed he noticed his black notebook. He took it and opened it. His eye fell on the inscription on the first page.

Dear Alec,

To love you, is there anything greater?

He browsed through the pages, rereading the stories he'd already wrote. Then he took a pen and started writing some more. He wrote about living in Paris and in London. He wrote about moving to New York and setting up a speak easy there in the time of the prohibition.

He wrote about Hotel Dumort and found a hiatus in his memory. Something was blocking him. He spoke a quick revealing spell and saw the blue sparks of magic leaving his fingers. A good sign, he had his magic back. But the spell didn't work.

Catarina came back a few hours later, carrying a tray with food on it. A bowl of soup and some bread. Magnus wrinkled his nose at it. "Can't I have something more substantial?"

"No. We're going to start you on something light. You haven't eaten for days." Catarina sounded very much like the nurse she was. "It's important to start with light food, easy for digestion."

Magnus caved in, knowing it was futile to argue with Catarina on this. "How's Alec?" he asked instead.

"He's fine," Catarina replied, "I haven't talked to him, obviously, but Brother Zachariah has assured me of his wellbeing."

"Good." Magnus felt a little better now and started on the soup. After finishing the soup and the bread he asked Catarina about the block on his mind.

"Oh yes," she said, "you asked me to block you because of Camille. You sure you want to hear this story?"

"I do," Magnus said, "I'm writing down my life."

"Why?" Catarina looked amused and slightly baffled.