Chapter 43: Malec in Paris

I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly, and then all at once.

- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Alec

Alec was packing his bag, looking forward to the extended holiday with Magnus, when he heard a knock on his door. Turning around he saw his mother standing, leaning against the doorpost. "You're all set?" she asked.

She looked sad, Alec thought, and for a moment he felt guilty about leaving her. His father was still in Idris and his mother was running the Institute on her own now. "I am," he replied, "Are you okay with me leaving?"

"Of course, Alec," Maryse responded, "You deserve a holiday, after all you've been through."

"But you deserve one, too," Alec pointed out.

Maryse gave him a sad smile. "Maybe later. Come on, Magnus will be here any minute. Let me walk you out."

Together they walked to the elevator, taking them down to the cathedral hall. Just when they stepped out of the elevator, walking between the pegs of the church, the doorbell rang. Maryse opened the door before Alec could. "Magnus, right on time. You want to come in for some coffee?"

Alec stepped quickly around her and looked at his boyfriend. Magnus was wearing a striped fisherman's sweater and smiled a charming smile at Maryse. "I'd love some coffee," he said.

"No," Alec interrupted, "No, he wouldn't. We're leaving."

"Such a hurry," Magnus shook his head. "Why can't we have coffee with your mother?"

"Because I want to go to Paris," Alec replied.

It was an excuse, really. Drinking coffee with Magnus and his mother would be so awkward. He wouldn't know what to say or do. Especially since both Jace and Isabelle weren't home. Isabelle had blackmailed Jace into a day of shopping since they were going on a double date with Simon and Clary, which Alec thought was a terrible idea.

If Max were still here, then he'd consider the coffee, knowing Max would give the much needed distraction. But Max was gone, his ashes left behind in Idris, only his gravestone to remember him by.

Alec wanted to get out of the Institute. Away from his sad mother, whom he couldn't comfort. He knew it was selfish of him, but he was really looking forward to spending some time with his boyfriend. Alone, just the two of them. With no one to call on Magnus, requesting potions or spells. Magnus wasn't High Warlock of Brooklyn for no reason. In the three weeks since they'd returned from Idris, Alec had experienced how busy he was most of the time.

"Very well," Magnus said dramatically, "It seems Paris can't wait." He took a beret, seemingly out of nowhere, and placed it on his head. "La France, on y va!"

Maryse laughed and kissed Alec on his cheek. "Enjoy yourselves. Both of you." She turned around and closed the door behind her.

"She's being mighty big hearted about you dating a warlock, isn't she," Magnus said as he grabbed Alec's hand.

"I told you, she's okay with it," Alec replied as they walked down the steps and around the corner where a portal was waiting for them. "My dad, on the other hand, asked me if there was a way I could get rid of it. Of being gay, as if it is some kind of disease." He snorted, offended.

"Well, it doesn't surprise me. Shadowhunters have always been a conservative group of people. And inward, too, keeping to themselves," Magnus said casually. Alec got the feeling it didn't really bother him and he felt a bit jealous. He didn't want to be bothered by it either. But it was his own father, which made it more difficult for him.