Chapter 81: A Cat's Party

Alec

The days turned into weeks and the weeks into months. Winter passed and Spring came. Every Tuesday evening Maia and Lily came over, and Alec discussed their problems with them. He was surprised he got along with them so well. Especially Lily. Alec had never been too keen on vampires, but his reserve had melted away, and he realized he actually liked Lily. Magnus said it was because she relied on him, turned to him, and he always responded to that. That was true, Alec knew that, but he also really liked her.

And it was to her he turned for help with his crazy idea of throwing Magnus a cat party. Magnus was always so full of vibrant and crazy ideas and surprises. Just last week he had taken Alec on a short trip back to Paris. "We're still in love in the spring," he'd said, "And I want to celebrate that in Paris."

They'd been to the padlock bridge to look up their padlock, and were surprised to find it was still there. And now Alec wanted to return Magnus the favor by surprising him. He'd gotten the idea to throw him a cat party after the last party they'd been to together, where Magnus had been thoroughly irritated by some of the drunk guests.

When they came home and were greeted by Chairman Meow, Magnus picked up the cat and said, "A party with just cats, wouldn't that be something? No more drama!"

Alec had shaken his head, but had remembered the comment. So a week later, when Lily came by, he asked her to help him with the cat party.

"Why do you want a cat party?" Lily arched her eyebrows and shook her head, looking very exasperated.

"I want to surprise Magnus with it," Alec said, and he explained the story and his idea.

"You're crazy," Lily said, "But I'll help you. What do you need from me?"

"Cats, of course," Alec smiled, "I need at least fifty, for it to be a proper party."

"I didn't realize how crazy you were," Lily shook her head again, "I don't know if I should ever ask your advice again."

That's your loss," Alec said and punched her shoulder. She laughed then, and said she'd take care of it.

"Do they need to be alive?" she asked.

"Of course," Alec said, appalled, "Why would I want dead cats at a party?"

"I don't know, maybe you have a fetish I don't know about." Lily shrugged.

She left then, but made good on her promise, texting him a few hours later that she'd bring the cats by the apartment this coming Friday. Alec asked Maia to call Magnus away for some fake emergency that day.

Soon after Magnus left, the doorbell rang and Lily arrived with two dozen vampires behind her, each of them carrying two travel cages for cats. The vampires put the cages down and left instantly, Lily was the last of them. She gave him a wink as she closed the door. "Have fun with the cats."

Alec opened all the cages, and the cats spilled out through the room. This is by far the most crazy thing I've ever done, he thought, although maybe going into Edom on that rescue mission had been crazier.

He put down dozens of dishes with different types of cat food in them, with chicken, salmon, tuna, even mice. Cats like mice, right? He even arranged for a milk bar, with different types of lukewarm milk, which could be tapped and put into tiny bowls.

He had bought decorations. Party hats with a picture of Chairman Meow on them. Streamers hanging down from the ceiling for the cats to play with. He'd bought a big, sequined bow for the Chairman which he bound around his neck.

When everything was set up he went to the bedroom to change. He'd actually bought a suit, an Armani suit. He remembered Magnus asking him if he couldn't own one designer suit. Now, finally, Alec had given in and bought one, knowing it would make his boyfriend happy. The suit was a dark blue and he'd bought a matching tie. Staring at his reflection in the mirror, he had to admit he was looking quite alright.