Chapter 11: Sixth meet

Alec

Alec's phone buzzed. He flipped it out of his pocket to check it. A text message, from Magnus. Alec took a side glance to Jace, who was sitting next to him in the booth at Taki's, eating a large plate of fries. Lost in his thoughts. Alec flipped open the phone and read the message.

Alexander, I bought a coffee machine. Come check it out when you have time. Magnus.

Alec smiled at the message and typed back. Tomorrow morning? Have some demon hunting to do tonight.

Sure thing. Looking forward to it.

Tuesday, early in the morning, Alec found himself on the stairs leading to Magnus's apartment. The downstairs door was open, as Magnus had told him, and the door to his apartment was open, too. Alec stepped over the threshold and into the empty living room. The door to Magnus's bedroom was closed and Alec wondered if the warlock was still sleeping. For some reason, the thought made him blush. He shrugged it off and walked towards the kitchen. Magnus had said he could come whenever he wanted, so here he was.

In the kitchen he instantly noticed the red coffee machine standing on the counter. On the floor was a box filled with coffee beans, milk, a cappuccino maker and a box of sugar cubes. Magnus had really gone all the way, he thought. Then again, he didn't think Magnus was able to do things half. He was very thorough, Alec mused. He liked that about him.

He took the supplies and put the coffee beans into the machine, added water, put a cup under it and turned on the machine. It made a gurgling noise, grounding the beans, and then the black liquid streamed into the cup, giving off a nice aromatic smell. It was great quality coffee.

"That looks good," he heard a familiar voice and he looked up to see Magnus standing in the door opening. He was wearing dark blue silk pajama pants with a green dressing gown hanging open, exposing his bare chest. "And the coffee smells good, too," Magnus added, while he smiled widely and stepped into the kitchen, towards Alec. Alec smiled back as Magnus put his arms around him and pressed his lips against him. "This is a nice domestic scene to wake up to," he murmured against Alec's lips. Alec handed him the coffee and made another one for himself. "I like this machine," he commented, "It's good."

"Of course it's good," Magnus snorted, "Like I'd buy crap for you."

Alec smiled again. Magnus didn't need the machine, he could take coffee from any Starbucks or other coffee bar. And yet, he bought it, for Alec. Alec felt touched at the gesture.

"Let's drink coffee in the living room," Magnus announced and walked out of the kitchen to the couch.

Alec followed him there and while enjoying the coffee, he told Magnus how he had chased a demon through the New York sewers last night. "It was kind of gross," he said, wrinkling his nose. Magnus grinned at him. "I can imagine," he said, putting down his empty cup. "You want to go out for breakfast? Or I could order it in, if you want to stay here?"

"I'd like to go," Alec said, "Have some fresh air and pancakes."

"Chocolate chip," Magnus said as he got up from the couch, "I'm going to change into something more suitable for an outside adventure and then we'll go."

When Magnus returned to the living room he handed Alec a small silver key. "This is for the upstairs door," he announced. "I'll leave the downstairs open for you to come in anytime, but I need the upstairs closed. Chairman Meow is constantly walking out on me." He laughed.

Alec smiled shyly and put the key away in the pocket of his jeans. The fact that Magnus gave it to him made him happier than he thought he would be. With a light heart he stepped out of the loft, letting Magnus go first. He closed the door and locked it with his new key. He heard Magnus chuckle behind him and shrugged. "It's only good sense to lock your door."

"Sure thing," Magnus said, "I like it that you're using my key." He gave Alec a dazzling smile and Alec felt the urgent need to touch him. Magnus was already on the first step of the stairs going down, when Alec put a hand on his shoulder and turned him around. Standing one step higher than Magnus, Alec towered over him. He moved his hand from Magnus's shoulder to his chin, lifted his face up to him and pressed his lips on Magnus's. Magnus slid his hands around Alec's waist as he leaned in and kissed him back, parting Alec's lips with his and winding his tongue around Alec's. They stood there kissing for some time, Alec's hands cupping Magnus's face while Magnus pressed his fingers in the small of Alec's back. Finally they broke apart, both of them having to catch their breath slightly. Alec pressed Magnus's forehead against his lips. "Breakfast?" he murmured against Magnus's skin. "I'd love some," Magnus replied and turned to descend the stairs.

An hour later, they were sitting in a diner over their empty plates, talking over breakfast. Magnus told him how he had hosted a breakfast party where there was a maple syrup fountain which had toppled over, its content spilling over a werewolf who was sitting next to it. Magnus's eyes were lit up with the animation of the story, "You should have seen him, the syrup dripping in his eyes," he lifted his head back and laughed aloud. Alec joined him in laughter and realized he felt lighter than he had felt in days. It was so easy with Magnus. It was so easy to talk, so easy to laugh. There was neither need, nor room for pretense. This was how it felt like to truly be himself. And he loved it.