Chapter 45: Venice, Vienna and back to New York

Venice, Vienna and back to New York

The Shadowhunter guard stepped back as the door opened, and Maryse came into the room. She was followed by two figures immediately familiar to Simon: Isabelle's brother Alec, and his boyfriend, the warlock Magnus Bane.

- City of Fallen Angels, p.258

Alec

After Rotterdam Magnus suggested Madrid. They went to the Museo del Prado, a beautiful building with countless white marble pillars and statues. They ate Spanish tapas and drank Liquor 43, which tasted like vanilla.

They send pictures back to New York and Alec called his parents. His mother was enthusiastic but his father sounded distant on the other end of the line. Not once he asked him about Magnus and whether they were having a good time. Alec knew why. His father wasn't okay with him being gay and Alec couldn't deny that it hurt.

Barcelona was next on the list. The Sagrada Familia was a surprise. From the outside it was an odd looking cathedral, Alec thought, but the inside was beautiful. The sun shining through the stained glass windows made the interior glitter like a kaleidoscope. Magnus was wearing a sparkling matador jacket, and in the light falling through the windows he looked incandescent.

After Spain they had a quick break from Europe, visiting India. Alec thought it was too warm and too crowded there. Also, Magnus had found it necessary to wear a gold and pink sari. Alec had shaken his head but had indulged Magnus. He'd wanted a few pictures to send to New York. To cause a little havoc, he'd said.

Back in Europe they went to Italy. First Rome, then Florence and finally Venice. Venice was beautiful, and similar to Alicante in some ways. The small streets, the lack of cars, the canals. It had a very romantic feel to it. The first thing they did was look for the padlock bridge, the Ponte dell' Accademia.

Magnus was a bit quiet when they added the lock to the bridge. Alec wondered if there was something bothering him, but when he asked Magnus shook his head. "It's nothing, Alexander. Come, I know this great place where they have the best Risotto al nero. It's rice with squid ink."

Alec made a face, "Ink in food? Why?"

"It's good, I promise," Magnus laughed and grabbed his hand, crossing the bridge to the direction of the Piazza San Marco.

After dinner, which tasted surprisingly good, they went on a gondola boat ride in the moonlight. The gondolier sang Italian songs while paddling them through the canals.

"O sole mio," the gondolier sang while Alec and Magnus snuggled close together. Magnus had his arm around Alec and Alec laid his head on his shoulder, looking at the sky.

"So many stars," he observed, "We don't see them in New York like this."

"New York is tarnished with light pollution," Magnus said, while pouring champagne into two glasses and handing one to Alec. "We should take better care of this earth, we only have the one."

Alec sat up and took a sip when the gondolier started a new song. He noticed a crease in Magnus's forehead. "Is it no good?" he asked.

"It tastes fine," Magnus said, "But this music, though."

He sat up and his eyes began to shine, a sign that he was coming up with a new, probably insane and invigorating idea. "I was thinking we should go to Vienna, to the Wiener Staatsoper, to see an opera and hear some real Italian singers."

Alec nodded, he didn't know much about opera, but he was willing to try it out. Especially since Magnus seemed so excited about it. "You like opera?"