Chapter 29: How Magnus got to Idris

How Magnus got to Idris

The person who stepped out of the front door was tall and thin, with short, spiky dark hair. He was wearing a mesh gold vest and a pair of silk pajama pants. He regarded Clary with mild interest, puffing gently on a fantastically large pipe as he did so. Though he looked nothing at all like a Viking, he was instantly and totally familiar.

Magnus Bane

- City of Glass, Ch.7 Where Angels fear to thread, p.162

Magnus

The phone rang and rang. It was the middle of the night and Magnus had already gone to bed. He didn't really have official office hours, so anyone could be calling at this late hour. He picked it up and answered with a croaky voice, "Yes?"

"Magnus, did you get Ragnor's message?" Catarina sounded really flustered and upset. Magnus sat up from his bed and looked around in his room. On the wall there was clear writing in golden illuminating letters. Finito Fell. Idris. Country house. Magnus understood instantly what it meant. It was an s.o.s. call from his fellow warlock, Ragnor Fell.

"I just got it," Magnus said, "I'll go. You can stay here, ok?"

"Let me know what happened," Catarina said.

Magnus assured her he would, then he jumped out of the bed, made a portal on his wall and portalled directly into Ragnor's country house in Idris. For a second he thought, I'm going to Idris, which is where Alec is. But he ignored the thought. He had other, more important things to worry about now. Clary had been looking for Ragnor for some time now. Magnus should have known the manor in Idris would have been the best option to find him. But now it seemed someone has gotten there before Clary did.

Ragnor's house was a mess. Every piece of furniture was turned around and the contents spilled on the floors. Magnus called his friends name, but got no answer. He began to search through the house and found Ragnor on the kitchen floor. The floor itself was smeared with blood and he saw a gaping wound in Ragnor's chest. His eyes were staring lifeless at the ceiling. Magnus knelt down next to him and took his pulse. Unnecessary, for he already knew Ragnor was gone. With one smooth motion he closed Ragnor's eyes. Then he sat back in the kitchen and looked around. He felt dazed, as if it hadn't really happened and Ragnor wasn't really dead. He raised a blue sparkle in his hand and whispered, "Logos." On the wall appeared Ragnor's last message. It told him he was ambushed by something demonic in origin, something doing Valentines bidding. He was killed for the book of the White. Magnus let out a long breath and closed his eyes. He had known Ragnor for his entire life. Ragnor had been older than Magnus, he didn't know how much older. But he had always been there. Even when he was cranky or unsupportive. Only a few weeks ago he'd called him on the phone. It seemed an impossible reality, a world without Ragnor.

Magnus pulled himself up and wrote a fire message to Catarina. Then he took the body, put him in a green suit and in a coffin and buried him next to the country house. Back inside, Magnus tried to sort through the mess, in search of anything that could help him answer the question why his friend had to die.

While sitting in the mess and pondering Ragnor's message, another fire message arrived at the manor. It was addressed to Ragnor Fell and it told him some Shadowhunter named Sebastian Verlac was coming this afternoon with Clarissa Morgenstern in search of Ragnor's aid. Sebastian Verlac, Magnus shook his head, where did Clary got that one from?

It was early afternoon when Magnus felt the glamour of the house being pierced and he looked out of the window. In the distance he saw two figures coming up the path. For a short moment his heart stopped as he saw one of them was a tall, dark haired Shadowhunter. Alec. But at second glance the boy, though absolutely gorgeous, didn't look like Alec at all. And he had black eyes. Magnus shook his head in frustration. Why was it so hard to put Alec out of his mind? He knew this Sebastian guy was coming with Clary, why would he think it'd be Alec? He snapped his fingers to let the smoke from the chimney form a question mark. He saw the boy put an arm around Clary's shoulder and changed the smoke to a heart. Faintly smiling at his own joke, he walked to the door.