Chapter 59: The World's End

The World's End

When it rains, it pours
There will be blood in the water
Cold to the core
Faith falls hard on our shoulders

This is our time
No turning back
We could live, we could live like legends
This is our time
No turning back
We could live, we could live like legends

Faith falls hard on our shoulders
But legends never die

- Ruelle, Live like legends

Magnus

The city was abandoned. The streets completely empty. High buildings and skyscrapers stood like skeletons sticking in the air. Their walls were made of bone instead of concrete. Magnus stood alone in the street as he felt a drop of water fall on his hand. He looked down and saw it was red, red like blood. More drops came and the rain changed into a downpour. The city streets were filled with blood. And then a voice sounded, a voice Magnus recognized, because it was his father's voice.

"The world will end in blood. First the blood of the Nephilim. Then the blood of Downworld. And finally the blood of humans. In the end, only ashes shall remain."

Magnus sat up straight and reached a hand out for the other side of the bed, searching for Alec, only to find it cold and empty. Alec was gone. He put his head in his hands and groaned. This wasn't the first time this dream had come to him. And because his father was a fallen angel, he was able to send him true dreams. Magnus didn't doubt that this was one of those. First the blood of the Nephilim. It made him shiver from fear. Alec was Nephilim. Even though it had been more than two weeks since Magnus had broken up with him, he didn't love him any less. He was thinking about him all the time, and he was terrified for him.

The apocalypse was coming. Valentine's evil son was so much smarter than his father had been, and so much worse. And he had strong allies. Stronger even than Magnus's own father. Magnus had looked into it but hadn't found anything and that made him even more scared.

Maryse had called him a few hours ago to ask him to make a Portal. There'd been attacks on several Institutes over the earth and they were calling every Shadowhunter to fall back to Idris, where they'd be protected by their wards. Magnus was relieved when Maryse told him that, knowing Idris was the safest place for Alec to be. But he declined her, and redirected her to Catarina. He couldn't see Alec and he knew he had to when he made that Portal. Catarina had send him a text, telling him he was being childish and why did she had to do it while he was so much better at it. He texted her back, telling her to shut up.

He hadn't heard from Alec for a while now. The last time Alec texted him he'd asked if Magnus had received the present he'd gotten him, since today was his birthday. And if he'd please, please, please call him back. But after that there'd been silence. No text about leaving for Idris. Nothing. Jace had come by, acting extremely insufferable and telling Magnus off, saying he didn't have any friends. Obnoxious Shadowhunter. What did he know about Magnus and his friends? Nothing.

Jace had made him worried about Alec, and shortly after that Maryse had called. Magnus felt declining her was a good idea, but now, after waking up in a cold bed after such a dream, Magnus's yearning for Alec was too strong to ignore. He had to see him one last time before he left. Had to make sure Alec would be save. That Alec would live. Because being apart from him was torture, but living in a world without Alec in it, he didn't think he could do that.

He got out of bed and put on a simple pair of jeans with a black shirt, in no mood to dress up. Then he hurried to the Institute, knowing they could leave any minute. Now that he had decided he wanted to see Alec, he felt restless and edgy, knowing only Alec's presence could relax him.