Chapter 39: Twenty second meet - Alec

Alec

In all the commotion Magnus had left and Alec couldn't find him. He wanted him to become his partner for the fight, but looking over the crowd, all he saw was a blur of people. Isabelle showed up at his side with Simon. "Alec, Simon has to tell us something," she said, breathless.

He looked down at his sister, exasperated. "Really, Izzy? Now? Can't it wait? You do know we're in the middle of a war."

"Just hear me out," Simon cut in and launched a story he heard from Clary who in turn had heard it from Jocelyn. It turned out Jace wasn't Valentine's son. Valentine had adopted him and raised him as his own until he dumped him on the Lightwoods. Sebastian, however, turned out to be Valentine's real son and Clary's real brother. He wasn't Sebastian after all. His real name was Jonathan Morgenstern. Alec heard it all with only half a mind, his eyes scanning the crowd. Where was Magnus?

Isabelle was ecstatic, grabbing his hand. "Alec, did you hear what Simon said? Jace isn't Valentine's son. He never was."

"So whose son is he?" Alec replied, as he tuned in on someone tall with black hair, who turned out to be a faerie.

"Who cares!" Isabelle said, throwing her hands up. "Actually, that's a good point. Who was his father? Michael Wayland after all?"

"Stephen Herondale," said Simon.

"So he was the Inquisitor's grandson," Alec said. "That must be why she—" He broke off as his eye caught another figure who might be Magnus.

"Why she what?" Isabelle demanded. "Alec, pay attention. Or at least tell us what you're looking for."

"Not what," said Alec. "Who. Magnus. I wanted to ask him if he'd be my partner in the battle. But I've no idea where he is. Have you seen him?" he asked, directing his question at Simon.

Simon shook his head. "He was up on the dais with Clary, but he's not now. He's probably in the crowd somewhere."

"Really? Are you really going to ask him to be your partner?" Isabelle asked. "It's like a cotillion, this partners business, except with killing."

"So, exactly like a cotillion," said Simon.

"Maybe I'll ask you to be my partner, Simon," Isabelle said.

At that Alec whirled on her. "Isabelle, you don't need a partner, because you're not fighting. You're too young. And if you even think about it, I'll kill you." Out of the corner of his eyes he thought he saw something familiar and his head jerked up, staring. "Wait—is that Magnus?"

Isabelle, following his gaze, snorted. "Alec, that's a werewolf. A girl werewolf. In fact, it's what's-her-name. May."

"Maia," Simon corrected but Alec stopped listening because he saw Magnus, standing tall behind the werewolf girl.

"There's Magnus," he said and he felt his face lit up and started walking in his direction. Magnus looked at him now, and Alec saw he was surprised that Alec was approaching him. He didn't want that. He wanted Magnus to expect him, he wanted Magnus to know he was not afraid anymore. That he didn't care if people saw them together. He was a Lightwood. He was brave.

"Magnus," he said as he reached him, "Do you want to partner with me. In the battle, I mean."

Magnus looked down at him, his cat eyes shining. "If you're sure?" he asked, sounding uncertain.

"Of course I'm sure," Alec said, badly wanting to reassure Magnus that he was okay with it. Okay with being his partner. Even more so, okay with being gay and with being his boyfriend. He wasn't going to hide himself in regret anymore.