Chapter 46: You are not trivial

You are not trivial

"I think Alec and Magnus are fighting"

- City of Fallen Angels, p. 303

Alec

Alec was quiet in the car, while Isabelle was asking them about their vacation. Magnus was doing the talking, though he occasionally cast a glance at Alec, obviously wondering what was going on with him.

When they arrived at the party, Isabelle went to look for Simon and Alec and Magnus went to sit at a table, where Clary was sitting alone, drinking ginger ale from a champagne glass.

"Where's Jace?" Alec asked, expecting to see him here.

"He's in the Institute," Clary said.

"Strange, I didn't see him there," he replied. Clary shrugged and he let the matter drop. Magnus laid a hand on his arm, "You want to call him?"

Alec pulled his arm away and crossed his hands over his chest. He felt rather upset with Magnus and actually wished Jace was there so he could talk to him. Clary raised her eyebrows as if to ask what was wrong, but she didn't say anything. Magnus drew back his hand and started to play with the fringes of his scarf. At that point Simon arrived with a very beautiful boy at his side, a werewolf called Jordan. They sat at the table, but no one talked. Alec was wishing he could be anywhere else than here, order his thoughts and find out what it was that was bothering him so much.

"So," Magnus said, turning his attention to the werewolf boy. "Jordan. I hear you're in the Praetor Lupus. I see you're wearing one of their medallions. What does it say on it?"

Jordan nodded. "Beati bellicosi: Blessed are the warriors."

"Good organization," said Magnus. "I knew the man who founded it, back in the 1800s. Woolsey Scott. Respectable old werewolf family."

It rubbed Alec the wrong way, of course Magnus would tell this information to a complete stranger, a very cute looking stranger at that. Woolsey Scott, Magnus never mentioned him to Alec. Probably because he was one of his exes who he had forgotten about.

And Alec couldn't help but sneer, "Did you sleep with him, too?"

Magnus stared at him in horror, "Alexander!"

"Well, I don't know anything about your past, do I?" Alec demanded. "You won't tell me anything; you just say it doesn't matter."

Magnus was angry, Alec could tell. It didn't show in his expression, but the tense set of his shoulders gave it away. "Does this mean every time I mention anyone I've ever met, you're going to ask me if I had an affair with them?"

"Maybe."

"I met Napoleon once," said Magnus. "We didn't have an affair, though. He was shockingly prudish for a Frenchman."

"You met Napoleon?" said the werewolf boy. "So it's true what they say about warlocks, then?"

Alec shot him a vicious look, "What's true?"

"Alexander," said Magnus, Alec heard he was really mad now, "You can't be rude to everyone who talks to me."

Alec spread his arms out, wanting to lash out at Magnus. "And why not? Cramping your style, am I? I mean, maybe you were hoping to flirt with werewolf boy here. He's pretty attractive, if you like the messy-haired, broad-shouldered, chiseled-good-looks type."

"Hey, now," said werewolf boy.

Magnus put his head in his hands.

"Or there are plenty of pretty girls here, since apparently your taste goes both ways. Is there anything you aren't into?" Alec couldn't help himself, he knew he shouldn't say all this, especially not with all these people here, but he was just plain mad, and he couldn't care less about what everyone else would think.