Chapter 23: Fifteenth meet

Fifteenth meet – Am I a keeper?

Alec had fallen asleep twice—on the sofa, not the bed. Once after a long slow night of kissing; and once when Alec had come over for a brief coffee, clearly exhausted after a long day of demon-hunting, and he had slid into unconsciousness almost instantly.

- The Bane Chronicles, What To Buy The Shadowhunter Who Has Everything, p.308

Magnus

It was almost midnight and Magnus was considering his options. He could call Catarina and invite her over for a nightcap or he could call it a night and go to bed. The last option was the most logical one, considering he was already wearing his pajamas. But something was holding him back. He didn't want to go to sleep yet. He took his phone from his pocket, turning it around in his hands, trying to decide, when it buzzed.

Magnus. I'm in the neighborhood. Okay to come over for a brief coffee? I can be there in ten. Alec.

Magnus's face lit up. Alec wanted to come. Yes! Magnus felt the excitement like adrenaline flowing through his veins.

A warning voice sounded in his head. Be careful. Why would he be so overly enthusiastic to see Alec? It was dangerous. He knew he had to treat his heart as if it were a porcelain bowl. When you let it slip, it breaks. Magnus tried to tell himself that but he couldn't help but be excited at the idea of seeing Alec. And he was glad Alec had taken his decision away from him, he didn't mind that at all.

As always, you're welcome. The door is open.

He texted Alec back and waited for the ten minutes to pass. If Alec said he'd be there in ten, then that's what was going to happen. Alec was nothing if not conscientious.

It was only two days ago that Alec had fallen asleep on his sofa, his arms wrapped around Magnus, after dinner at Taki's and a long night of kissing. Magnus didn't mind to repeat that evening now. Or, if Alec really just wanted a coffee, then that was okay, too.

Alec stood in the doorway exactly ten minutes later, looking worse for wear. He was wearing gear, which looked remarkably better on him than those ugly hoodies. But his face was gray from exhaustion and the dark rings under his eyes were profound.

"Are you okay?" Magnus walked hastily over to where Alec stood and put a hand on Alec's arm, where he noticed a giant rip in the jacket. "Are you hurt? What happened?"

Alec shook his head. "I'm fine, tore the jacket against a gate in the park. Chasing demons."

Magnus looked through the rip at the exposed skin underneath where there was a big scratch visible. He gently shifted the jacket from Alec's shoulder and hung it on a peg behind him. Then he moved his hand over Alec's arm, sending blue sparks of magic into the wound, healing him.

"That's not necessary," Alec said, "I can use an iratze for that."

"It's nothing, Alexander," Magnus waved his objection away. "I want you to be okay. You look... tired." He finally said, not wanting to use a word that might upset Alec or make him think he was looking awful. "Come, sit."

He took Alec with him to the sofa and set him down. Alec, too tired to protest, did what he was told and laid back his head against a throw pillow. Magnus snapped his fingers to remove Alec's boots which he barely seemed to notice. Then he went to sit at the end of the couch and pulled Alec down, resting his head on Magnus's lap. "Now put your feet up," he coaxed. Alec obediently raised his legs on the couch and Magnus conjured up a blanket and covered him up. He trailed his hands through Alec's hair. "They make you work too hard," he muttered.

Alec fluttered his eyes and mumbled something in reply. "Don't speak," Magnus whispered, caressing his face, fingers softly brushing his skin. "Just rest. Close your eyes and sleep, Alexander. I will take care of you."

A Malec Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें