xxiv.

Jungkook liked sitting by the window. He could watch all the other kids come and go from outside the building.

But mostly, he watched as moms hugged and kissed their kids before waving goodbye and sending them off for another day of school.

Jungkook could get lost in those moments. He missed his mom. His missed the warm, familiar scent of her. He missed her tight hugs, her quick kisses, her hand on his head. He knew that he was supposed to be strong enough not to need all of those things, but he still missed them. But he couldn't say anything, because nobody else said anything about it. Jin wouldn't, Yoongi wouldn't, Hobi wouldn't, Jimin wouldn't, Tae wouldn't.

So Jungkook wouldn't either. But whenever he saw a full family - mom, dad, and kids - he always felt a little anxious, like if they saw Jungkook and his family, they'd know that he was faking, that all of them were faking.

Why hasn't Mommy come home?

Doesn't she miss us?

I know that she's busy, but she's never been so busy that we haven't been able to see her.

Mommy's coming back, right?

Right?

"The triplets?"

Jungkook turned to look at the teacher and call out "here." Then the class was dismissed for play time.

Jungkook always played with lots of kids. He was kind of shy as the youngest child in his family, but he also felt a need to reach out and connect with other kids. He knew that there would be times, more and more often now, that his hyungs would be busy with school or friends or clubs. He wanted to have other friends too so he wouldn't feel left out.

"Jungkookie!"

Jungkook blinked. I have to pay attention. "Aaah, sorry, I was zoning out. What was the question?"

The girl giggled. Her name was Ji-something. He couldn't remember. He was trying hard to remember, though, because he was actually becoming kind of popular. "I wanted to know what kind of sweets you like to eat."

Jungkook tilted his head. "I don't know, any? I'm not really picky..."

The girls giggled again, although Jungkook wasn't really sure why.

"Jungkookie is so cute!"

"So adorable!"

Jungkook gave a strained smile. Please don't let my brothers hear this and make fun of me later...I'll never hear the end of it...

He sighed as the girls kept giggling and chatting.

I wish Yugyeomie and Bammie were in my class, he thought, thinking back to the two boys he'd met at his dad's work. They were nice, and they seemed like fun. More interesting than a bunch of girls, anyway.

Actually, Jungkook was grateful when Tae scared them all off and Jimin pulled him up, laughing at his relieved expression.

"Our Kookie is just so popular," Jimin joked, and Tae laughed.

"Who wants to be popular with a bunch of girls?" he said, and Jimin agreed with him.

"Aish, stop teasing me," Jungkook mumbled, blushing slightly. "I didn't ask to be so handsome."

"This kid!" Jimin exclaimed, sticking his tongue out. "So bold! I'll have you know, I was born in Busan first!"

"By like a minute," Jungkook said, crossing his arms.

"Yeah but it's the minute that counts!" Jimin insisted, turning to Tae, who just shrugged.

"You're both pretty, ladies," Tae said dryly, and Jimin rolled his eyes. "Now give it a rest, Daddy's here."

"Daddy!" Jimin yelled, running over to Namjoon and clinging onto his pant leg. Jimin always seemed to be the most attached of the three of them to Namjoon, physically at least.

The other two joined him and left the school, and Jungkook was glad to be rid of all of the girls that were constantly giggling and trying to look cutesy.

Once they got in the car, Jimin and Tae immediately ratted him out.

"Yeah, Jungkookie is popular with the girls in our class," Jimin said, smirking, and Tae grinned.

"Yep. They're all like Oh Jungkook~" Tae said, mock-fanning himself and fluttering his eyelashes.

"Haha! Our little Kookie is growing up!" Hobi said, smacking Jungkook on the arm.

Jungkook rubbed his arm. "Ouch, hyung! And no way, girls are gross," he said, but his cheeks were dusted with pink. "And besides, you're only in kindergarten."

Hobi grinned. "That's true. But you'll be in kindergarten next year! And after that, first grade! And then second grade! And then you'll practically be an adult! Our Jungkookie, all grown up!"

Jungkook made a weird face. "No way. I don't want to grow up."

I want to stay here with all of you guys, just how things are right now.

Only...

If things stay how they are now, then will Mommy never come back?