cl.

warning: explicit language

"Sorry, I got held up for a minute with someone," she said, entering the room slightly out of breath, purse hanging off her shoulder. "How are you feeling, Jungkook?"

"Like I broke my arm in the most idiotic way possible," Jungkook said, pouting slightly and looking down, and Jimin smiled, looking over at the latest visitor.

"Hi Mom," he said, grinning. Namjoon had been scheduled last-minute for the late shift, and when Jungkook had had his small accident (or, as one might say, a slip-up), Yoongi had instructed Jimin to call the next best person.

"Hi sweetie," she said breathlessly, shutting the door behind herself before going over to Jimin and pressing her lips gently against the crown of his head, rubbing a hand up and down his arm. Jungkook frowned, but Jimin just smiled, his eyes crinkling at the edges. She looked over at Jungkook and hesitated, sensing the invisible boundary he'd put up around himself and his heart. "The doctor recommends that you stay overnight since it's so late. And since Namjoon is working overnight..." she said before hurrying on. "Of course, you're welcome to come home with me and Jimin and spend the night at our house-"

"I'm good here," Jungkook said, and she bit her lip, before nodding, accepting Jungkook's wishes.

"Whatever makes you most comfortable," she said. She'd tried multiple times to reach out to her other children, but she knew that she risked pushing them farther away. She didn't want to pressure them or overwhelm them. They'd accept her on their own terms when they were ready, or they wouldn't. She would always give them the chance, but she would never force them to take it.

Jungkook nodded to himself, but it was Jimin's hand tugging at his shoulder - the shoulder connected to his good arm - that made him look up.

"P-Please?" Jimin asked, his eyes wide. "Everyone else is going to be s-sleeping at Dad's house after the d-dance."

Jungkook was silent for a moment.

"You don't want me to be lonely, d-do you?" Jimin tried, and Jungkook groaned as Jimin went on. "I'll be all by m-myself. Alone. Just me."

"Fine fine fine fine fine fine fine," Jungkook said, rolling his eyes. He wanted to cross his arms, but the action was a bit impossible at the moment. "This doesn't mean that I-" Jungkook cut himself, sending a quick glance at their mom, who was choosing to remain quiet on the matter.

"-that you love me the m-most or that I'm your favorite b-brother, but it's okay, I already know," Jimin finished for him, nodding firmly, and Jungkook just sputtered before giving in.

"Well, I'll go talk with the nurse and let her know that we're checking out early," their mom said, turning slightly toward the door and angling herself so she didn't have her back turned to them. "I'm sorry that you two had to miss the dance," she added sympathetically, and Jungkook just pursed his lips.

"I don't know. You saw the way that one nurse was looking at me, right?" he prompted Jimin.

Jimin just rolled his eyes and pushed their mom toward the door. "The sooner we get h-him home, the sooner he'll shut up."

She smiled and nodded, taking that as her cue to leave, and the room fell quiet.

"Home," Jungkook said, and Jimin blinked, looking over at him.

"Huh?"

"You called it home. Her house. You called it home." Jungkook stared at Jimin. "Is it your home?"

Jimin frowned, his eyes skirting along the edge of the bed, tracing the lines of the mattress and avoiding Jungkook's eyes. "It j-just slipped out, Kookie-"