cxxiv.

warning: explicit language

"Do you think I could grab a glass of whatever that guy is holding?" Hobi asked speculatively, staring at a nearby waiter with half a tray of what looked to be champagne flutes.

"If we aren't allowed to swear, then I'm pretty sure alcohol is out as well," Yoongi said dryly as he yanked viciously at the bow tie that was trying to strangle his neck with each passing minute. He wasn't often in formal attire, so having to wear a suit - and a bow tie - was equally unfamiliar as it was uncomfortable.

Jimin, on the other hand, seemed to be living up the bow tie and suit ensemble, tugging delicately at his cuff links from time to time and straightening his bow tie. He looked like one of those plastic dolls you saw while window shopping, the kind you bought for an outrageously high price before proceeding to buy dozens out tiny, coordinated outfits that cost more than real clothing.

"It's t-too b-bad there aren't a l-lot of k-kids our age," Jimin said sadly, looking around.

Yoongi had to admit that he was correct, even if Yoongi didn't care to socialize. The majority of the crowd were male businessmen, veering on either the high or low end of age; the sparse middle crowd was made up of men like their step-father, family men, although most of that faction were accompanied by much younger kids, kids past the age of babysitting and just old enough to handle themselves in public while looking cute and having no idea where they were.

Then there were a few older boys in suits like Yoongi's, standing over by one of the refreshment tables and talking amongst themselves.

"Why don't we try talking to them?" Hobi asked, feeling a bit bolder than usual since there weren't that many kids their age.

Yoongi was about to protest, but when Jimin said, "Okay, h-hyung," he knew he had lost the battle, 2-1, and he wasn't about to abandon them in a crowd of socialites, so he trailed along behind them over to the refreshment table.

"Hello," Hobi said, and the five boys' conversation halted as they turned to look at the three newcomers. "I'm Hoseok, but you can call me Hobi. This is Jimin, and that's Yoongi." Hobi then blinked as though he hadn't thought that far ahead, but luckily, one of the boys nodded and picked up the conversation.

"Hey, I'm Joshua," the fairly normal one said with a wide grin. "These are my brothers. This here is Wonwoo-"

Joshua paused for Wonwoo to smile, and it was unclear as to whether Wonwoo was intentionally frowning or if he actually believed that he was smiling, but...it wasn't happening.

"It's just his face," Joshua said for the Kim brothers' benefit before moving on. "This is Dino. He's our baby brother," Joshua said, pinching Dino's cheek, and Dino made a face before pushing Joshua away. Joshua just chuckled and moved on. "This giant is Mingyu."

Mingyu smiled at Jimin, giving a slight wave, and Jimin smiled back nervously, having to crane his head a bit to make eye contact, but he liked the taller boy because he seemed friendly.

"And this is Woozi," Joshua introduced.

Yoongi stared at the height gap between the last two. "So, when your dad was at the hospital with your mom, did he check that the baby was his?"

Woozi groaned before punching Mingyu's shoulder. "If you were ten centimeters shorter, I wouldn't have to hear comments about it all the time."

Mingyu punched Woozi's shoulder, although considerably more gently. "And if you were ten centimeters taller, I wouldn't hear about it either."

Hobi, meanwhile, looked between Woozi and Yoongi in shock. "No way..."

"What?" Yoongi asked, annoyed for no apparent reason. Probably because of the ban on cursing. He was suffering from the withdrawal symptoms of irritation and a slight headache.