cxxvii.

Jimin got off the bus and waved to Jongup with a smile, but Jongup just nodded back politely before turning the opposite direction and meeting up with Taehyung.

"Oh," Jimin said, surprised, shocked, a little hurt. "Ok-kay..."

"Boo," Hyungwon said softly, wanting to cheer Jimin up, and Jimin jumped slightly, startled, and laughed after he saw Hyungwon.

"H-Hyun- Y-YOUR HAIR IS P-PINK!" Jimin said, cutting himself off with a gasp as he stared at Hyungwon's hair.

"Yeah."

"IT WASN'T L-LIKE THAT Y-YESTERDAY!"

"I know."

"S-SO HOW-"

"My dad let me dye it," Hyungwon said, pulling Jimin away from Hobi and Yoongi as they walked to class.

"B-but why-"

Hyungwon sighed, narrowing his eyes as he looked away before sighing a second time. "I might have lost a bet to Jooheon..."

"A b-bet?!"

"Yeah. We bet that the last one to get a date for the dance had to dye their hair. Only Jooheon made the bet having already asked someone out, which I didn't know about, so I immediately lost." He groaned. "At least I don't have to worry about getting a date now since I already lost the bet."

"A d-date? What d-dance?"

Hyungwon looked over at Jimin curiously. "You don't know about it?"

Jimin shook his head, blinking.

"The school has a big dance every year. It's coming up in two weeks. Pretty much everybody goes. The music isn't too bad, and there's a lot of gross couple grinding on the dance floor. But they have a decent snack table on the opposite side, so you could say there's something for everyone."

"D-Don't people just g-go as friends?" Jimin asked, tilting his head slightly. He was starting to feel nervous. According to Hyungwon, he only had two weeks to find someone he didn't hate and then ask them to stand next to him for several hours which they acquired raging headaches and sore feet.

Hyungwon made a so-so gesture with his hand. "I mean, some people do, but according to Jooheon, it's pretty much all couples. There's some type of award for the best couple or whatever, and there's a pretty big gift card as a prize for the winners. It's the school's way of motivating people to buy tickets to the dance. Everybody wants the gift card, but you're only eligible as a couple, so that's why everybody tries to get a date."

"Oh."

"Yeah." Hyungwon sighed. "Even if I wanted to go for the gift card, though, I can't talk to girls, and nobody would want to go with the guy with pink hair."

Jimin smiled, patting Hyungwon's shoulder since he was too short to ruffle his hair. "I think it's n-nice."

Hyungwon sighed. "Thanks, Jimin, but I need a girl to think it's nice."

"S-Sorry."

"It's fine...I guess I'll just try again next year." Hyungwon pushed his lips out, making a pouty face, and Jimin giggled.

***

"Dance?" Hobi asked, turning around in his seat.

"The dance," the girl repeated with a nod, turning from her friend to look at him. "It's in two weeks. Are you going, Hoseok?"

Hobi blinked. He wasn't aware that she'd even known his name. Now he was embarrassed that he didn't bother learning hers. "I- I don't know. Maybe. I like dancing. Not so much all the other stuff."