Dreams

Brian

Her lips....they were plump and soft. That's all I could think about, even as I showered and got ready for bed. She seemed as into it as I was. I hope I didn't cross a boundary that will make her even more hesitant of me. I don't want to ruin whatever we have.

I get in my bed and went to sleep. That night I had a dream about Katherine. We were driving through a dessert and she was happy. Like genuinely happy. Smiling and laughing at everything I said. I turn away for a second and looked back at her...she was older, in a wedding dress. I looked down, in a suit.

"I finally have everything I've ever wanted." She whispered, kissing my cheek.

Then she vanished, sending me into a panic.

"Katherine!" I screamed, stopping the car.

She wasn't here. Nowhere to be found. Until I see her a few feet away, unconscious on the ground. I run to her and see she has blood spilling from her abdomen, pouring out of her mouth. I screamed. I take her in my lap, soothing her with my words. It's no use...she's gone.

"Daddy?"

I turn around and find a young girl, holding a teddy bear. She's looking at Katherine, horrified.

"Is Mommy okay?" She asked.

I looked between Katherine and the little girl. They resembled each other but that little girl had my eyes. I focused on breathing right. Katherine began vanishing.

"No. NO!" I screamed, trying to hold on.

Then, she was gone. Forever.

I felt something cool on my face. I jolt awake, dripping in water. I shake my head from the dream. Katherine stands at the foot of my bed, holding a cup. She waits for me to get my bearings.

"What-" I began.

"I could hear you across the hall." She shrugged. "Seemed like a bad dream."

"And you decided to pour water on me rather than tap me?" I asked, confused.

She paused. "That thought didn't cross my mind, actually."

She set the cup down on the dresser.

"Thank you." I cleared my throat. "Sorry, if I woke you."

"You didn't wake me. I was already up. I sometimes suffer from insomnia. Tonight was one of those nights." She shrugged.

No wonder she's always cranky. She's sleepy.

I get up and go to the bathroom, grabbing a cloth and drying my face and chest. She stands in the same position.

"What were you dreaming about?" She asked.

I hesitated.

"You said Kat." She informed me.

"I could've been talking about the animal." I argued.

"I highly doubt that." She pushed her hair over her shoulder.

"I don't remember." I lied.

She nodded. "Okay. Goodnight."

She turned to walk away and opened the door.

"I didn't ruin anything between us... with that kiss?" I asked.

She paused. "If you did, I wouldn't be in here right now, Blondie."

-

Can I express to you guys how much I love food?

-Chicken Soup