The Anchor

Paul

"Alina went to DR to keep Katherine sane during this?" I asked Dom, watching the team load everything in the jet.

"Yeah. She figured her best friend needed her more than we do. I agree." Dom nodded, writing in a log. "Brian, you sure you ready?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

Dom pulled out his phone, showing his lock screen that had him holding Jonathan when Jonathan was just born and the girls surrounding him.

"My kids are with Katherine. The safest person on this planet. And Alina."

"You might not make it home."

"I will."

-

"He's beautiful." I whispered softly, rocking in the recliner with my son in my arms.

Katherine stared at us with love in her eyes. It was one in the morning, family went home. The girls were with Dom and Letty. I held his pacifier in his mouth with my finger.

"Jonathan Henrik O'Connor." Katherine smiled.

I kissed his head. "Our little miracle baby."

"I don't want to fight. I don't want to cause pain anymore. I want to live each day seeing your face. I want to watch our children grow up and argue with each other. I want a life."

I got up and walked to her. I placed Jonathan in her arms. I leaned down.

"Whatever you want, whatever you need... I am here." I kissed her.

-

I stepped away from the team as they were finishing up and called Katherine. She answered.

"Hey, baby."

"Hi, Brian."

"We're about to head off. I needed to hear your voice."

"I'm here." She cleared her throat. She sounded in pain.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Sick." She was definitely lying.

"Where are the kids?"

"Outside with Alina."

"I hope when I get home, you and I could sit and talk about this. We haven't had a problem in a while between us."

Katherine stayed quiet.

"I love you." I expressed.

"Brian! Let's go!" Letty shouted from the plane.

"Give me a call from your death bed." Katherine hissed and hung up.

Is she serious right now? I hope and pray she doesn't revert back into the old Katherine. The one that shuts me out and goes crazy. The Katherine that doesn't want me.

I shut off my phone and headed to board. Everyone was choosing their seats. I didn't care where I sat. The team was expanded like crazy. Some new members. Lannie, Robert, Shawn, Jeffrey, Martin and Karl. Including Maggie, Lucas, Thanos and my team. We had a full crew but I knew for a fact that everyone on this plane was not going to survive. If Katherine and Kaleb and Alina were here, maybe the odds would be better. But I know that my wife was better at home, watching our children smile. I knew my wife was thousands of miles away and safe. I didn't care if she hated me. As long as I make it back to her, we'd be okay. Me and Katherine would always be okay.

I sat down and stared out the window as the plane began to move. And I thought for a while.

When I first saw Katherine, my heart stopped. Those eyes piercing through her brother, her bloody face, her mouth opening wide as she shouted and I could see every single one of her perfect teeth. And the day she first talked to me. The day she kissed me. The first time we had sex. Our marriage, kids, new house. Even the time she beat the hell out of me in Russia. My heart beats for Katherine Howard. I gotta make it home to her.