Devastation

Katherine  

My cellphone rang in the middle of the night, the same night I got my memories back. Brian has spent the last hour crying and telling me all the reasons why he loves me. And he was now as deeply asleep as a bear in hibernation. I answered my phone.

"Katherine?"

"Nobody?" I whispered. I was confused. "The fuck do you want?"

"Come to my house. Be here in thirty minutes. Kaleb will meet you."

He hung up the phone. He's such a rude bitch. I sighed and got out of the bed and softly as I could. Brian didn't move a muscle. I swiftly put on a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt and softly creaked downstairs. I moved as quietly and swiftly as possible which wasn't hard because I am after all made to be stealthy.

I made it to my car and got in. I started the car and backed out of the driveway and made the trip to Nobody house. I saw Kaleb's car already in the driveway. It was now one in the morning. I entered the passcode and went inside. It was quiet, all the lights were out. I walked up to his bedroom. Nobody was laying in his bed and Kaleb was standing next to him, arms crossed.

"Kaleb." I whispered.

Seeing my brother made a piece of me feel completely better. He didn't look like the proper and mature Kaleb that was recent. He was the old Kaleb. Baggy eyes, raised eyebrows and messy hair. I ran into his embrace, he smelled of Bourbon.

"Heard you're okay." Kaleb chuckled.

"Yeah. I'm good." I smiled at him. "What's going on?"

Nobody was watching us with a pleased smile.

"I'm dying." He told us slowly.

The first thing I felt was confusion. What the fuck was this?

"Have recently progressed to stage four prostate cancer." Nobody was still smiling.

I looked over at Kaleb who seemed just as stuck as me.

"Is this a joke?"

"Does it look like a joke?" Nobody asked.

My head got dizzy and I could literally feel my heart cracking.

"Stage four? How long have you known this, Nobody?"

"About a year and some change. Started treatment for it but I knew there was no hope." Nobody shrugged. He coughed slightly.

"A year? Excuse me?" I felt myself choking.

"Yes. Scariest year of my life but we are at the end of the ropes."

"What?" Kaleb knees buckled and he leaned on the bed.

"Doctors gave me a few weeks. Few weeks to say my goodbyes. Write my will. Make sure everything is in place." Nobody coughed again. "I've had all of that written down the first day I received the news."

"Where's mom?" Kaleb asked.

"Your Mother is not going to be apart of the events of tonight. She will not know about the events on tonight."

"The fuck does that mean?"

"I'm going to ask the both of you to put me down." Nobody waited for us to react. We both just stood there, staring at him. "Like as in, kill me."