Overcome

Brian

I sat at the kitchen table, looking up various therapists in the city for Katherine. I had a cup of coffee next to me and cold takeout because I can't eat right now. Katherine hasn't come home and it is now one in the morning. I was exhausted and tried to use her GPS tracker but I guess she turned it off a while ago.

I wrote down a few therapists that I felt were good. They were all four hundred and up an hour but I didn't care about that. I just want to help her. The door opened and in walked Katherine. She had dirt on her and her face was puffy. When she saw me, she sighed. She walked over to me and set the keys down.

"I will not apologize for what I did. Because I was trying for myself. I don't care what you need or want from me but I need me. So you have some fucking nerve to say that I am ruining everything. I was tortured for months and had my identity stripped from me and I am in a hole right now. It's like I'm walking around in this body and I don't know how to feel or act because I can't remember anything. I can't go on like this much longer. So screw you for going crazy on me today! Screw you!"

I felt bad. I mean, yeah. Dealing with Katherine with no memory is much harder than dealing with the normal her. But I did make a vow to her and it is my duty to stand by her during good and bad times. But what she did to Kaleb was wrong. He was doing so good in recovery and she broke him to break her but the only one benefiting from that was Katherine. And now he's back to the beginning. And Alina! Everything Alina has done for us and our kids and Kaleb! She doesn't deserve to go through this again.

"I am sorry that you feel alone in this. I feel horrible that you are going through this, Katherine. And it's frustrating for everyone that we don't know how to help you. But we will figure things out because we always overcome battles. Twisting Kaleb to benefit you wasn't the right thing to do and even with an omelette brain, you know that."

Katherine didn't say anything, just stared at the floor in frustration.

"It's been a long day. You're a mess." I  scratched my forehead. "Take a shower, wash your hair and come to bed. You hungry?"

She shook her head.

"Did you eat at all today?"

She shook her head.

"Take a shower, I'll make you a snack. Okay?"

She pushed her hair back and nodded.

"Okay." I looked at her. "We'll figure it out, Katherine. I just need you to stop trying to do this on your own. We're a family."

Katherine didn't reply. She simply walked up the stairs, her arms crossed as if she was holding herself together. I placed the paper of therapists on the white board in the kitchen as a reminder to call. I heard the shower running upstairs and took a moment to breathe.

I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do if she doesn't regain herself. The woman that I am in love with is this woman I don't even know. And it's killing me because she is obviously self destructing. I just want the old Katherine back. I got pretty emotional, sitting in the chair and tears fell from my eyes. No. I can't cry. No. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs slowly and I figured it was Katherine.

I felt a hand tap on my arm and I turned my head. It was Ruby. She had on a nightgown with messy hair and her sleeping beauty pacifier in her mouth.

"Hey, baby." I smiled at her. I was also signing as I spoke because she didn't have her hearing aids in at that moment. I mean, I don't think the hearing aids benefits her that much. "Bad dream?"

She nodded softly, seeming confused at me crying. She lifted her arms and I picked her up, placing her on my lap. I managed to smile at her but she still seemed confused. She wiped my tears and took her pacifier out her mouth to give me a kiss on the cheek. I smiled.

"I love you." I signed to her.

She broke out in a smile and rested her head on my chest. I began to rock her slowly, patting her back and scratching her head. We have to get through this...if not for our marriage but for our kids.

-

Okay but does anyone here watch the Dolan Twins??