Focusing On Love

Brian

I heard music blasting from downstairs. I checked the time. It was ten in the morning. Who the fuck? I got up from my bed and shuffled down to the source.

Katherine was in her pajamas with the girls, Kaleb was there, too. The girls danced around Katherine and Kaleb as they swayed side to side. They were in each other's embrace, grasping each other as if they were grasping for life.

"Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet?!
Uh but they're so spaced out, B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets!" Kaleb sang to Katherine, twirling her around.

"Oh but they're weird and they're wonderful. Oh Bennie she's really keen. She's got electric boots! A mohair suit. You know I read it in a magazine! OH! B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets!" Katherine sang back.

I vaguely remembered Katherine telling me Elton John was a favorite in her house growing up.

"BENNIE! BENNIE. BENNIE. BENNIE! BENNIE AND THE JETS!"

I smiled softly from my spot in the corner. For the first time in weeks since Nobody's death, they seemed to be getting slightly better. I knew there was a long way for recovery but it was nice to see them bonding. Kaleb held onto the back of her head and Katherine rubbed his back as they stepped to the beat. The girls pranced around. I didn't want to disrupt the peace.

I went back upstairs and showered and got ready for the day. The music was done by the time I walked back downstairs. Katherine and Kaleb were now lounging on the couch, drinking lemonade while the girls watched Spongebob.

"Good morning, love." Katherine smiled at me.

"Hey. Hey, Kaleb."

"Good morning, honey." He mocked in a monotone.

I chuckled. "Kat, I'm going with Dom to a car shop then-"

"Literally, took the entire day off from work to spend it with you and the kids."

Kaleb yawned.

"I thought you were still obsessing over China." I placed my hands on my hips.

Suddenly Quinn started crying loudly. Kat, Kaleb and myself turned our heads. Her face was turning red. Katherine picked her up.

"What's wrong, love?" Katherine asked.

"Ruby pull my hair!" Quinn snuggled her face into Katherine's neck.

I picked up Ruby. "What's been going on with you?"

She rolled her eyes.

"I'm going to need you to drop your increasing attitude." I signed. "And stop hitting your sisters."

Quinn had quieted down in Katherine's arms.

"We not your friend anymore, Ruby." Brooke declared.

Ruby pouted, watching her sister's mouth.

"Brooke, stop it." I held up a finger.

"Seems you got your hands full here." Kaleb chuckled. "Quinn, the cry baby, Brooke the instigator and Ruby the troublemaker."

Katherine shook her head.

"If you guys want the day to cuddle up, Alina and I will take the kids out."

"That'll be great, love." Kat kissed his cheek.

"I'll get them dressed." Kaleb grabbed the girls hands and led them upstairs.

"Want to watch Greys Anatomy and give me back scratches?" Katherine turned to me.

"I would love to." I pushed her hair back. "It's weird."

"The death of my mentor and me wanting to watch a show revolving around death?" She pouted.

"No. There was a time where you didn't want me to ask about your life. Didn't want me looking at you or touching you. Every obstacle we've faced always led us back here. In our bubble. Devoted to each other."

"It can go back to that quickly." Katherine mocked.

"It couldn't even if you wanted it to." I gripped her face. "You're helplessly in love with me."

"Can't deny that." She shook her head.

"No you can't." I kissed her.

"I don't express my feelings. I am always pushing you away. How are you so sure I am in love with you."

"You make me soup when I'm sick, you said yes to marrying me. You help me find the right tie. You helped me pick out my car's paint job. You gave me three beautiful children. You put my life before yours. And you damn near bullied the girl I was with in your absence. I know that your heart is filled with love for me. You're not the type to speak, you show actions."

She kissed me softly.

Kaleb came downstairs with the girls dressed in dresses and sandals.

"Should be back after dinner. We'll take them for sushi."

"Okay. Have a good time."

The girls gave us hugs and kisses.

"Bye bye." Brooke waved, running out before her sisters.

"Have fun." Katherine told Kaleb.

"Greys Anatomy and back scratches?" I raised my eyebrows when the doors closed.

"Greys Anatomy and back scratches." She smiled softly.

"So come on."

-Chicken Soup 🍜