Identity

Katherine

I walked into the compound where I spent my days over the last few months. It was damn near empty. I walked to the far back where the office files were kept. I searched for mine. It was in the far back of the rusty cabinet. I took it out and sat down at the table across the room and began reading.

It stated my full name, age, height, appearance. There was bullet points. Above them was the words Erase marriage, children, family, friends. It had Brian's name and his information and the name Brooke, Quinn and Ruby. Then it went down to Kaleb and the team and my mother and a man in a nice suit with slick back hair. I flipped the page and saw a photo. It was of me pushing the stroller that contained three beautiful little girls. I focused on it for a moment and searched hard in my mind.

"Kalebina?"

The memory was fuzzy but I clearly saw Kaleb holding a newborn baby in his arms. He smiled down at her. I snapped back into reality and sighed. It hit me.

"Trespassing is illegal."

I looked up and saw Bill staring at me with a soft grin. I closed the file and sat back.

"It's true. You did have a semi happy life." Bill came in closer. "Semi. That's the thing. Someone with your income and children and gorgeous husband should've been more than semi happy. You should've been elated. And that's why I found you and turned you into who you truly are."

"And that is?" I raised my eyebrows.

"A damn warrior." He sat across from me.

"Why can't I just go back to a mom?" I asked.

"You can. With time and patience." He nodded. "But I strongly advise against it. You are rare. In battle, you let nothing get in your way. The job of killing doesn't need distractions, Katherine."

I dropped my gaze. "What would happen if I decided to leave?"

"I will let you go." He shrugged. "I have a backup team until I recruit more warriors."

I bit my lip. "Brian is great. I mean, I beat the hell out of him, I shot him...and he's great to me. Makes me wonder what I was like to him."

Bill crossed his legs. "He makes you weak."

"I don't think so."

"Take a step back and analyze." He whispered.

I cleared my throat and looked at my file.

"Take it. Learn about yourself case no. 2308." He smiled slowly.

I grabbed the file and stood. I paused and drew my gun from my waistband. I sighed and aimed it at him.

"I cannot walk out of here without you dead." I told him.

Bill didn't seem phased. "And why is that, my dear?"

"Because men, women, people with identities and families will be tied down to chair and tortured until they remember nothing but blood, sweat and tears. People who have no choice but to endure being stripped of their dignity." I answered.

"And you aren't angry about what I did to you? About how I stripped you raw and remade you?" He smiled wider.

"I don't feel anything regarding myself. I have you to thank for that." I shot him in the head.

I put away my weapon and walked out. I went back to Brian.

-

I'm sorry for not being consistent with my updates

-Chicken Soup 🍜